Villa in the Mountains

>> Saturday, July 25, 2009

The last weekend in July we were kindly invited by my extended family to come spend some time up in the mountain community of Whistler. While we both had to work all week, come Friday, we were raring to go. They had taken off for the better part of the week and rented out a villa in the upper village, so they were well-seasoned by the time we arrived. Luckily, there was a king-sized bed waiting for us and bucket-load of heat.

09_147

09_162

09_148

09_149
Do you see that container on the counter? It’s filled with puffed-wheat squares…YAYAYAYAYAY!

After settling in a bit, we headed out on foot to the village to check out the scene. Did I happen to mention our villa was right next to the Four Seasons? No? Well, it was, no big deal all brushing shoulders with the rich people and whatnot.

09_150

09_151

09_152

Matthew was up on the mountain ripping around on his bike, along with a giant herd of other people. This lift up and the subsequent ride down was the focal point of the village on this sweltering day.

09_154

We left my uncle and Marty there to schpatziere and Mildred and I headed into the village to track down the rest of the gang.

09_163

09_168

09_169

Like bloodhounds, we sniffed them out and before we knew it we were onto the next hunt – dinner. Thankfully there’s an IGA where snacks can be retrieved from…and so I picked some chocoalmonds, chips, and Nature Valley bars…you know, for sustenance tomorrow when we are gallivanting up in the mountains. Marty picked up some pizza.

09_170

Mildred put the bug in my ear for sushi so I trekked in vain to several sushi places before finding one that was actually open and serving food.

09_171

We then began the long trek home in the late afternoon heat. I’m dying y’all.

09_172

09_173

Anyone who knows me well can attest that when I get hot, I get cranky and I can be very short with people. I’m not angry with them, I just don’t want to talk or think because it makes me even hotter. Uphill in 30 degree heat…I was brisk. Sorry to all! After standing in front of a small fan for ten minutes, I was human again and ready to enjoy my delicious sushi. I ordered kappa maki and a creation called “cupcakes”.

09_174

09_175
So good…let me tell you I’m jonesing big-time for one slice of these right this second…

After stuffing ourselves, we began considering our next adventure for the evening. When Al and Martha went out for a bike ride, it was up to us “kids” (myself, Marty, and Mildred included) to shake things up a bit. Off we sauntered into the village.

09_179

09_183

09_184

The place was bustling (sorry for the LQ pictures…sheesh) and Kaitlyn wanted to go shopping for…something yet to be determined. So we hit up every open shop and tried on a bunch of weird moose and bear hats. Right. We then headed into a legitimate hat store and whipped up a frenzy, all of us ladies getting hats (thank you Mildred!) Kaitlyn got this sweet white furry cap with shiny pink polka-dotted lining. I’m jealous.

We finished the day with smoothies from Starbucks and avoided stepping in the barf on the sidewalk. Always good times in Whistler.

09_185

Tomorrow we glide through the air from one mountain peak to another…and…it’s awesome.

0 comments: