January Goes Boom

>> Sunday, January 31, 2010

I tend to call January the black hole – it’s a downward spiral after the jollies of Christmas…as well, I have usually become more jolly. The weather is cold and dry and there is no stat holiday on the horizon until Easter. Oh cruel fates! To temper this hostility, B and I tend to try to shop the month away. I did a pretty good job too, as you will soon evidence on my other blog. It’s terrible, really. But, like I predicted, the sweet new wardrobe pieces somehow make everything seem alright.

Like most of the planet, I went to see ‘Avatar’ for the second time in January – this time in IMAX 3-D. We arrived a ridiculous 4-ish hours early and were only second in line. What? At least we got good spots.

IMG_0123
For some reason, I look like I’m in pain here. Oh wait…I think it’s because I climbed over a seat at one point and overestimated the length of my legs – ow.

IMG_0125

A couple of days later, I headed into Fort Langley with my friend Yukimi to show her the quaint little village she had yet to see. iPhone pictures in the dark aren’t so hot.

IMG_0127

IMG_0128
Oi! This house looks like its on fire. It wasn’t. I really should carry around a proper camera.

IMG_0129

Yet another couple of days later (did I mention this blog is really random? You may have gathered that already…), B and I headed into the Vancouver to shop again. This time though, there were little Olympic artsy stuffs cluttering the streets.

IMG_0132

IMG_0136

IMG_0137

IMG_0138
Oh my gosh – B fits perfectly into the cut-out for a snowboarder. It’s like she could be competing in the Olympics!

Yet another couple of days later, the highlight of my month came. One Saturday while watching SNL, we happened to see a commercial for a taiko drumming group from Japan who was going to be playing in Vancouver. We bought tickets. On the 28th, we went to see TAO at the Orpheum.

IMG_0140

First off, the Orpheum is a super-rad place; just like those theatres you see in the movies that take place in the ‘30s and ‘40s.

IMG_0144

IMG_0145

IMG_0146

Let me just say it was absolutely mind-blowing. It wasn’t overly theatrical or anything, but it certainly had type of suspense that is required to a hold an audience. The music was great – I didn’t realize muscle-bound men yelling to the beat of drums could be so appealing.



I was almost a little high after that show. WOOT! If they come back again, I’m there.

So February comes after January (duh) and the big event of February was….WAS….WAS!!! my trip to Florida. You were thinking about the Olympics, weren’t you? What, you didn’t know I was going to Florida? Well, yeah. It just kind of came. And went. And it will be blogged about next.

(ALL photos in this blog were taken with my iPhone – I would be sorry about the shoddy quality, but it’s really Apple’s fault.)

0 comments: