>> Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Like I’m sure it has for a lot of people, the last week has been extremely difficult for me, attempting to grapple with the reality that my favourite country (outside my own) has been crippled and is suffering. Each day I’m glued to the Internet, clicking on refresh every few minutes like it’s a nervous tick.

Beyond worrying about my friends who are attempting to go about life in the most normal way they know how, I’m just at a loss for words. My little sister hung on for dear life through the earthquake and hundreds of aftershocks that followed and continue to pound Japan. She’s made her way home to Canada now, and not a minute too soon. With tales every day of radiation snaking its way into Tokyo, I’m just fearing what comes next. If you are reading this, you are likely already aware of my fondness for Japan, as displayed by the significant number of blogs and days dedicated to documenting my travels there. Will it ever be the same again? I hope so. I don’t want to sensationalize it, and I’m not there, so I can’t know. But when you see pictures of people trying to escape, it lends to thinking things are going to turn for the worst.

The last blog I wrote was about my last day in Japan in January. Who knew that 2011 had this in store? It’s been a turbulent year so far and we aren’t so far yet. I AM PRAYING FOR JAPAN. With every thought!

0 comments: