For My Special Lady

>> Saturday, February 16, 2008

What was supposed to be a weekend of juvenile and hair-brained (thank you, thesaurus) business with my older sister, Sis, in Calgary, turned out to be a weekend of death and mourning business with my entire family in Manitoba. On February 5, my Granny of 84 years passed and I was thus summoned home to join in the rite of passage. Don’t let that fool you though…there were definitely a bag of laughs involved – just the way Granny would have wanted it.

It began on Thursday when Jean drove me to the airport along with my precious – a new camera! She lazed in my bed while I packed and off we went.

Picture 002

Picture 003

Picture 004

Picture 005
No getting away from work.

So we went up, up, and away.

Picture 006

Picture 007

Picture 009

Picture 011

Picture 012

Picture 014

Picture 015

Can you tell I got a new camera? I snapped every .3 seconds or so. I’m in love.

Picture 016

Once landed in Calgary, I met up with my sister, met her nice boyfriend Francis. We had dinner at the airport Kelsey’s. Ick. After that, she hopped on the plane with me and we headed further into the bowels of Canada, arriving in Winnipeg close to midnight.

Picture 019

Picture 021
B was happy to see me.

Picture 022
Aw, they both have the Suri Cruise haircut!

Due to Sis claiming MY bedroom, I was relegated to the rec room. You can see my luxury digs here:

Picture 023

Picture 024
Yes, that is a ‘Tom and Huck’ poster (RIP Brad). Yes, my coatrack is the arm of a treadmill. No, those curtains haven’t been replaced since 1977. Neither has the rug.

Friday was the viewing/family night at the funeral home which was rather hard to take. We sang(!?) and chatted about the funny moments of Granny. I took a picture of her in her casket, but I won’t post it here because frankly, I think I deleted it and I can’t really bear to look at it myself. Plus, chances are you don’t know her anyways.

Picture 026

Picture 027

The evening continued on with food and festivities because jamming down junk food “would have been what Grandma wanted”...seriously. Any excuse. We are shameless.

Picture 028

Picture 031

Picture 036

Picture 033

Picture 038

Picture 039

Picture 040
I love food pictures.

Picture 041

The next day was the funeral with my role as a pallbearer. It was a lovely tribute save for the guy who sprung a last-minute slideshow on the crowd and then proceeded to fiddle with it for five minutes before giving up and deciding it wouldn’t work. Thanks for the interruption in continuity buddy.

It was insanely cold with temps hovering around -40C…which I don’t see often. I tried to venture outside to see if anything decent could be captured with my new photographic friend.

Picture 045

Picture 046

Picture 048

Picture 049
(Look familiar?)

Picture 050

Picture 052

We also received gobs of food at our house….mmmmmm.

Picture 053

Picture 054

Picture 057

Picture 058

After a fairly uneventful Sunday, our fam got together once again for some action at the local Chinese restaurant.

Picture 059

Picture 060
As you can see, the décor is also rather classy here…almost as much as our indigenous-themed place last week.

Picture 061
Stay strong Grampy.

Picture 062

Picture 068
”You see, we are good with chopsticks because we live in BC together.” Um……….

Monday arrived and it was time for my to bring my sorry carcass back to BC so I can work a bit and then head on more holidays. Life is rough.

Picture 069

Picture 070

Well, thar she blows. In several hours, I will be heading off to London and hopefully have interesting things to write about on here. Tuesday I am in Paris; I am going to do some segway riding. I’ll be back in Canada after a while, so I’ll see you then…?

RIP Granny Ho-Heart.

1 comments:

Jen February 19, 2008 at 5:55 PM  

Condolences, my friend.
Oh, and those basement pictures. What a wave of memories!!

djj