Wax On, Wax Off (Day 4)

>> Thursday, February 21, 2008

Urk…the sun came far too quickly in the morning as we decided to get up early in order to make it downstairs in time for breakfast. There were two Japanese men eating breakfast when we came down and I desperately attempted to decipher their conversations to very little avail. All I could figure was that one was talking about his daughter and they needed to leave the B&B by 11 o’clock.

Since we took it so easy yesterday, we decided to jam this day with stuff. After all, Marty was only here for six days and we needed to make the most of it. First place we tried to get to fairly early to avoid the crowds, but we were unsuccessful as apparently a few hundred celebrities beat us to it – some alive, some dead. Arriving at the Baker Street station, we saw Sherlock Holmes.

Picture 001

Picture 002

Picture 003
Kate Moss

Picture 004
I think Julia’s had some work done. Too much Botox.

Picture 005
Picard! Professor Xavier!

Picture 006
Yikes, Nicole looks shinier than usual.

Picture 007
I’m also puzzled why Mel Gibson looks so possessed. Creepy.

Picture 008
”I have had it with these motherf-ing snakes on this motherf-ing plane!” Also, “Cut the crap, man, this is Shaft.”

Picture 009
Real enough to lick. Not that I did.

Picture 012
Imposters.

Picture 014
Colin Farrell

Picture 015
Even Harry Potter showed up.

Picture 017
A terrrrrible-looking Jennifer Aniston and completely normal-looking (read: crazy) Tom Cruise.

Picture 018
Captain Jack Sparrow

Picture 019
Captain Teague

Picture 020
He refused to recreate his upside-down kiss from the movie, so this is as good as it gets.

Picture 021
The Governator and Marty

Picture 023
Robin Williams

Picture 024
I must have missed that Indian Jones movie where he was being chased by a giant disco ball…

Picture 025
Christopher Reeve in his Superman costume

Picture 026
The Hulk originally posed nicely for this picture but right before I snapped it, he turned all mean-looking like that. I wasn’t too pleased he was going to squish Marty, so I kicked him and then his face got real ugly:

Picture 027
And that was that.

Picture 028
Oprah and Whoopi

Picture 029
Marty and his girlfriend Sarah Michelle Gellar Prinze Jr dressed in the same colours! How cutesy. Barf.

Picture 030
I also ran into my twin, (according to one person, at least) a young Marlon Brando. At least my twin wasn’t an old Marlon Brando.

Picture 032
Shrek

Picture 033
I don’t remember him being so…brown.

Picture 034
Tiger Woods

Picture 035
David Beckham

Picture 036
I decided to give Lance a run for his money on the bike. As you can see, he is tired and stopping here as I continue on and shout obscenities in his general direction.

Picture 037
Mohammed Ali

Picture 038
Even the Queen showed up! I wish she would have brought Prince William…or even Harry.

Picture 039
Yay! But he really should have peeled off that clear facial mask before heading out. I can’t image why he’d forget.

Picture 040
Harry! And Charles…and Camilla. Jolly good.

Picture 041
Queen Elizabeth I

Picture 042
Mary, Queen of Scots

Picture 043
The Bard and Erin. I was trying to think of a good, intelligent question regarding his plays. All I could come up with was, “What does ‘Exunt!’ mean?”

Picture 044
Stephen Hawking and Marty - my personal favorite. I was trying to make plans with him for the next day since we were going to be in Cambridge anyway.

Picture 045
Marty renouncing Darwinism with his thumbs.

Picture 046
This is Madonna and I, partying it up. Or me whooping in her ear.

Picture 047
The Beatles

Picture 048
Me and Justin Timberlake.

Picture 049
Kylie Minogue

Picture 050
Christina Aguilera

Picture 051
A very heaving (no, seriously!) Britney Spears.

Picture 052
Beyonce really likes to get oiled up before she goes on.

Picture 053
Freddie Mercury and that Hawkins guy from The Darkness

Picture 054
Pope Benedict and the Dalai Lama

Picture 055
Two very dead people: Yasser Arafat and Saddam Hussein

Picture 056
Some girl was sitting on his lap for a while. Awkward.

Picture 057
JFK and MLK

Picture 058
YIKES! Party crasher.

Picture 062
Jackie O

Picture 063
It looks like rigor mortis has set in.

Picture 064
Simon Cowell

There were also a few completely dead ones:

Picture 059

Picture 061
Ew.

Picture 065
HA HA HA HA! Jessica Simpson was relegated to the gift shop! She’s such a footnote to the entire attraction.

After we were all finished hob-nobbing with the celebs, we headed down to the south bank to take in the sights (which Marty had not yet seen) and visit the one and only Westminster Abbey.

Picture 066

Picture 067

Picture 069

Picture 070

After viewing where all the proverbial bodies were buried (Kings, Queens, etc), we headed back down past the parliament buildings over the bridge to the London Eye.

Picture 071

Picture 072
Here is where Ryu stood. Sigh.

Picture 022

Picture 075

Picture 076
The gurkin!

Picture 077
Buckingham Palace

Picture 078
The oft-reproduced (at least by me anyway) Big Ben and Parliament Buildings.

Picture 081
Marty, stifling a laugh at the skanky French lady who was getting busy posing for a boyfriend-initiated photoshoot.

Picture 082
The permanent London fog/pollution cloud.

Picture 088
River Thames

After the ride, we headed down into Oxford Circus so I could attempt to shop at Vivienne Westwood again. This time, I was successful. I was slightly worried that they would laugh me right out of the store since I’d read horror stories about the staff that work there implying you are too fat, too poor, etc. Well, I am, unfortunately, both of the terrible things they accuse shoppers of being (at least according to their standards), but they let me walk away with the purchase of a new necklace. I so desperately wanted to buy a sweater of some kind, but the $400 price tag was a bit of a deterrent. Oh well. Next time.

Picture 089
Random dog on side of a building with no face.

After doing some shopping in Oxford Circus, we decided it was time to hit the big leagues and attempt to gain entry into the world’s most famous department store, Harrods.

Picture 090

Picture 091

I didn’t know how difficult this was going to be since Lizzy told me that last time she tried to go there, they didn’t let her in. My strategy was to sneak in and hopefully they wouldn’t notice us amongst the herds. Turns out this wasn’t necessary and we happened upon a day where they let any Tom, Dick, Harry, Erin and Marty in. Perfect! I bought a pair of $20 tights. I almost bought one of the Maserati’s they were selling, but I wasn’t crazy about the colour. Then, I was going to buy a wax figure of myself, but I didn’t like my hair that day. Ah, good times. We decided to do some Sainsbury shopping for grub and call it a day. After all, tomorrow is coming and our legs may need to function.

Tomorrow we are off to Cambridge University in pursuit of science, beer, and Stephen Hawking.

0 comments: