The Kids

>> Thursday, July 31, 2008

In the beginning of July, we received two foreign imports into our home by the names of Naoto Muranushi and Yuta Hosaka. Through work, I had signed up for hosting two grade nine students from Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan for three days. And we were supposed to entertain them! What to talk about…what to do? Unfortunately their English wasn’t exactly at the level I had anticipated, but thankfully with their Engrish and my Japanese, we were able to communicate good enough to have some overall good times.

Since my lovely dear friend Jean works at the Vancouver Aquarium, I thought that would be an interesting place to start our fun and she was gracious enough to get us in gratis.

IMG_1518

IMG_1524

IMG_1526
This guy looks like Yurtle the Turtle! Actually, Yurtle was more green.

IMG_1528

IMG_1529

IMG_1534

IMG_1536

IMG_1542

IMG_1543

IMG_1544

IMG_1546

IMG_1548

IMG_1551

IMG_1553

IMG_1554

IMG_1555

IMG_1556

IMG_1557
Here they are, dying of starvation and slightly bored (I believe).

It was hard to really get out of them what they wanted to do and when. Did they have any fun? I don’t know. I don’t know if they knew either. After a fun behind-the-scenes tour from Jean, we headed back through Stanley Park and headed down to my favorite ramen bar of the moment, Benekei. After slurping it all down at the speed of light, we did a bit of shopping on Robson street. In what I imagine is true tourist fashion, they really liked Roots and the Gap. We also stopped at some souvenir shops where they bought maple syrup and an Anne of Green Gables doll. Yes!

Next stop was Vanier Park (again). I thought surely the kids would enjoy some of the beautiful scenery. Alas, they spent their time climbing the rocks and throwing crap into the water. Perfect.

IMG_1558

IMG_1560 copy

One characteristic that I noted while in Japan was that whenever they are in transportation mode, they tend to fall asleep. This was particularly true on any train or bus. Apparently it carries over to strangers’ vehicles as they were solidly out they whole way into Vancouver and home.

After dinner, the guys requested we play “Gi-ta” and then made some strumming motions. Me, being the superb translator, promptly delivered the Playstation with Guitar Hero and off they went.

After their big day trip into Vancouver the next day, they again insisted on “Gi-ta”. So again they played for several hours until they clearly had enough.

IMG_1561

IMG_1562

IMG_1567

IMG_1569

IMG_1570
…and on he played.

IMG_1571

Just a night at home – me, Marty, and the kids.

After three days, they were gone. Back to Japan, as it were. I imagine dropping your child off for the first day of kindergarten would evoke similar emotions. Sniff sniff. They did, however, leave me with the wonderful gift of origami that I try to practice often and pass onto others. I should really try something more than cranes…

IMG_1574

Sayonara Yuta mo Naoto!

0 comments: