Prowling at Night

>> Friday, December 5, 2008

Each year at work, our department takes a trip to some exotic locale (Vancouver, mostly) to develop ourselves professionally. This development includes activities that encourage team-building and cohesiveness. I go for the food, of course. This year (my third), we headed back to the Granville Island Hotel, where we visited two years earlier.

On November 20, I drove my petite automobile in, carpooling with my lovely coworkers Julie, Regina, and Sara. We arrived and checked into our rooms before our lunch meeting. If you read my blog from our previous visit, you will have seen my sweet room…yes! This time, not as sweet.

DSCN1709
Check out my view of a wall. No big deal.

It wasn’t bad…I had two full beds at my disposal, so I used one as a makeshift couch/table/trampoline. Also, I had a bidet which looked too dangerous to use. I do love this hotel though, so I’ll probably be back.

DSCN1710

DSCN1711
The ladies, preparing for an afternoon of development.

DSCN1714
I entitle this one: ‘Treats for Sustainability – Red Dye #9’.

DSCN1715
More sugar to keep us revved-up and somewhat focused.

The first session was a webinar on email etiquette and tips to better utilize our email program at work. The guy speaking in the webinar was a major nerd-o complete with unbelievably lame jokes, so I stared at my Kanjani 8 notebook for a while…so many colors…whoOOOoooOOoo

DSCN1716

DSCN1717

Our next task was to create a department summary of functional area…I was the creative genius behind this:

DSCN1718
Underwhelmed? Why thank you.

We also broke it down by person and position, and then each chose a pictorial representation of their character (possibly). Here is mine:

DSCN1719
Everyone had a good LOL over that one. Ah, I’m sure most people reading this agree that it just might be perfect. I’m quite harmless though…really.

After our session for the day, I headed back to my room and if I craned my neck out the window, I actually had a decent view.

DSCN1721

Regina and I headed out to 4th Ave before dinner and shopped at Capers and wandered the streets aimlessly. I spent too much money, as usual.

At 6:30, we all re-joined at the Dockside Restaurant in the hotel for dinner.

DSCN1724

DSCN1725

DSCN1727

DSCN1728

DSCN1729

DSCN1731
Arg! I hate bones in food. I don’t want to work for my meat…I complained a little…lot. The green thing is broccoli and cauliflower rolled into one. I think I will dub it Brocliflower or Cauccoi? Eh…

DSCN1732
Don’t you love food pictures? Yes, you do.

I dazzled the ladies in my department by showcasing my hidden skill:

DSCN1733
Yes, creating the saddest-looking napkin crane in existence (and quite possibly the only).

The party broke up shortly before 9 since most people wanted to go to their rooms and watch “Grey’s Anatomy” (for some reason I can’t possibly imagine). I decided I would take further partying upon myself and donned my jacket and headed outdoors to cook up some danger, Erin-style.

DSCN1738

I took my baby camera for my brisk walk in the night’s salty breeze and enjoyed the views of downtown from all the angles of the island.

DSCN1741
The seabuses are sleeping.

DSCN1743

DSCN1751

DSCN1752

DSCN1755

DSCN1756

DSCN1757

DSCN1758

DSCN1760

DSCN1763

DSCN1764

DSCN1765

DSCN1766

DSCN1767

DSCN1768
This picture reminds me of Tokyo DisneySEA.

DSCN1770
My favourite path to walk at Granville Island.

DSCN1772

Beside our hotel was a hill with a Canadian flag at the top. I climbed it’s muddy incline and stood in awe on the top point – the city lights were amazing. Listening to my iPod, I played the song “Ordinary” by a certain Nishiyan and smiled. I love Vancouver and it’s dazzling, calming lights.

The next day our seminar was on generations in the workplace – extremely interesting! I was the only Generation Y in my department and they loved to make fun of my princess-like ways. The best part is now that I can just blame it on my generation. What a nice crutch to discover.

I am now developed professionally again for a year.

0 comments: