Bahama Trauma (Part 2)

>> Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What’s it like to wake up the calm blue waters of the Bahamas? Well, it’s pretty sweet, especially when there is smoked salmon waiting via room service. Truthfully, being on the lower floors of the boat is always a jittery experience, as the boat likes to kind of shuffle sideways to get into port. But I’m not complaining…well, actually, I probably am. I’m kind of a b. And the heat awaits.

L1040716

L1040723

L1040718
Paradise Island and the Atlantis resort...we weren’t in town long enough to make it worth our while to venture out that far.

Who did we find in port that morning? My two lovely sisters who decided to join us for our jaunt into town. Despite the reviews online that said the best thing to do in Nassau is stay on the boat, we found that the best thing in Nassau was…well…not the McDonalds. Anything but the McDonalds.

L1040719

L1040721

IMG_1697
An inflatable Santa in the visitors centre…his ‘hood was the only place with Wi-Fi and, well, we HAD to check-in on Facebook.

Little did we know, Nassau holds a full 8-hour New Years parade called a Junkanoo and we caught the last floats bobbing along the streets at 8 AM.

L1040724

L1040725

L1040728

L1040729

Welp, there is not much to do in Nassau on national holiday at 8 in the morning. However, I make my own fun by taking pictures of random things that hold no significance when I look at the image 5 months later. Let’s take that journey.

L1040730

L1040731

L1040732

L1040733
Wow. Starbucks. How exotic. I wish they had been open. It might have saved us from McDonalds.

L1040734

L1040735

L1040736
This seems like a bad idea…

So here’s the McDonalds story – it’s not that exciting, sorry. As you know, I love my McDonalds chilled glace (Iced Coffee – what? The cup says “chilled glace”.) So we thought it would be cool and a good idea to get it in the Bahamas. Now the part of this story that is bad is the Bahamas part. Janelle offered to buy us iced coffees and so into McD’s she went. Never to be heard of again for the next 45 minutes.

IMG_1700
Jus’ waiting outside for some chilled glaces.

After a solid 20 minutes, I went inside to find this:
L1040737
…so I headed back outside.

IMG_1698

Turns out that the girl at the till for the line Janelle was in decided to go on break despite the fact that her line stretched almost outside. Eventually, she emerged with a reasonable facsimile of chilled glaces.

L1040741
Ahh….nothing like a scenic backdrop and some drink on the left that looks to be mostly pure cream (sorry sistre – thanks for taking one for the team.) They were wretched-tasting. It was like drinking creamy liquid sugar. BLAHHH

We headed back to the boat for a late lunch and Janelle proceeded to get all barfy sick and blame it on McDonalds. Fair enough…just don’t go back to that branch. Should be easy enough.

Dinner that night was in the dining room and I had this stuff.

L1040742

L1040743
This was our waiter, Pras. (Praas is a German word meaning to stuff yourself beyond sickness. How appropriate because he brought us so many delicious things.) Here he is preparing for the Canucks’ (all too brief) playoff run.

The next day was a sea day – I love these because I can sleep in and generally just be lazy. Here are some snaps of the day.

IMG_1730

IMG_1732

IMG_1728

IMG_1733
Funtimesss

IMG_1731
FOR A BRUSIN’

IMG_1727
Whooo! *runs to get playoff towel to wave at dinner tonight with Pras*

IMG_1729

IMG_1725

IMG_1726
On the edge of glory.

L1040745

L1040746x
Guaranteed best photo of someone eating cheese the world over. I should license this out for clipart use.

L1040748
Sis should be a food-eating model. Does it give such? The camera loves her.

L1040749

L1040750
Waiting for the show to start in the theatre.

L1040751
So much sensory overload and the show hadn’t started yet! I’m mostly distracted by the lady’s blue sequined skirt suit in the row in front of us. Yeesh.

Tomorrow we are in the US Virgin Islands to walk on the ocean floor. It’s a good thing it’s underwater, because I’ll probably pee my pants. Whoopee!

3 comments:

B May 4, 2012 at 12:12 AM  

Thanks to the Nassau McDonalds, I now suffer from conditioned taste aversion to iced coffees. WAh my laif

rochelle May 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM  

I should be a food eating model! Or we could just start our own publications. PS, the pics from the theatre don't show...I didn't get to relive the blue sequin skirt.

Erin May 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM  

It's there sistre! It's just not as dazzling as it was in person. Wahhh