(Day 2) Where The Catwalk Got Its Claws

>> Monday, September 29, 2008

Woke up (IN JAPAN!) a few times during the night but forced myself back to sleep. I will not let the evil jet-lag get the best of me! I finally decided to wake up for good at 6:50 AM. I ate my breakfast of onigiri and a fruit bar.

DSCN0323

The morning was rainy so we slowly made our way to Ikebukuro station, taking in the sights previously shrouded in darkness last night.

DSCN0324

DSCN0325

We hopped on the Yamanote line train bound for Harajuku and arrived around 9:45 AM. We walked into and around the Meji Shrine and then strolled a bit of the way into Yoyogi Park.

DSCN0328

DSCN0330

DSCN0331

DSCN0332
The hand and/or face purifying station.

DSCN0333

DSCN0335

DSCN0336

DSCN0337

I was disappointed how overgrown Yoyogi Park had become! But it was still a nice walk filled with the ‘Can-you-spot-the-bum-in-the-trees’ game. We decided to start our shopping and headed towards Takeshita Dori (pronounced “Taa-kay-she-ta Door-ee” people).

DSCN0338

DSCN0339

Starting onto Takeshita, we decided to eat lunch at Wolfgang Puck’s Express and I had a Teriyaki and Mayonnaise pizza while watching the crowds of people (mostly girls with pink or white umbrellas) stream into the alley.

DSCN0341

DSCN0340

After lunch, we wandered down Takeshita and I started spending the hard-earned cash I’ve been accumulating the last few months. If you know of Harajuku and/or Takeshita Dori, it is a bit out of the ordinary and I have yet to find another place like it…

DSCN0342

DSCN0343

DSCN0344

Harajuku has delicious crepes and I personally had been anticipating these crepes more than any other food in Japan. I couldn’t wait any longer.

DSCN0346

DSCN0347
Mother’s first crepe! (Definitely not her last!)

DSCN0350
Ichigo-cheezu-cay-kee kudsai!

DSCN0351

More shopping and more shopping later, we decided to venture down to Shibuya because I wanted to show my Mother the craziness that it is and we still had some time before we were to meet Maya for dinner. I love Shibuya except on rainy days such as today as the crush of people makes it difficult to walk with an umbrella. Still, Shibuya is an adventure on any given day!

DSCN0353

DSCN0357

DSCN0359

DSCN0360

DSCN0361

DSCN0363
One of their crazy variety shows! I am so fascinated.

I shoped at Daichu and Franfranc before heading into Tokyu Hands to take a rest on their soft, plushy beds. The sales lady came and stood right by us…I’m guessing she wanted us gone? But not a peep. I love Japan. Once we felt enough like wet dogs, we headed back to Harajuku to meet Maya. I was so happy to meet her!! We decided to look for a place to go for dinner and while walking, I spotted with my little eye something that made me squeal.

DSCN0364
So what this is, and there is a few of them, is a semi-truck with whatever group ‘s faces plastered to it pumping their newest single – and all this truck does is drive around. But I squeal because I love NEWS. I think I’m going to cry. (T.T)

After wandering around the block, we decided to head to Shinjuku for monjayaki. We went to this restaurant that as far as I can tell was called “Okonomiyaki”. It was on the 8th floor of the ShinjukuMyLord building – whatever that is. It was delicious.

DSCN0365

DSCN0366
So cute.

We chatted for a while before Mother looked visibly pooped. We decided to part ways at that point and we headed back to Ikebukuro and stopped at Family Mart and am pm before arriving back to the Hotel at around 9:45 PM. Our door was open! Either fantastic hospitality or a forgetful cleaning lady. Bums. Relaxing inside our closet-like hotel room, I ate a bunch of these puffy things filled with goo that Maya gave me and they were delicious.

Tomorrow we are going to Tsukiji Fish Market and Imperial Palace among others…please come along.

0 comments: