(Day 24) Done Gone Crazy

>> Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Today is my first full solo day in big Tokyo, and also my last. I decided to get an early-ish start to the day and arrive in Aoyama in time for the stores opening…but I had never been to Aoyama before, so I wasn’t quite sure what stores I wanted to go to.

I had heard much about Aoyama being the most expensive and fashionable neighbourhood in Tokyo and since I want to be those things, it sounded perfect for me. Aoyama is connected to Harajuku by Omotesando Dori (Avenue) so that means shopping, cafes, and more shops, connected by different shops. A city to pillage!

I took the subway from Ueno to Omotesando and strolled along Aoyama Dori until I found a 7-11 where I bought a sandwich for lunch.

In Japan, it is horribly inexcusable to eat and walk at the same time, or eat a meal in a public area where there is no seating. Do you follow? I don’t and I’m hideously confused as to why this is the case. Apparently eating something small, like onigiri or a sandwich, is okay, but I still get nasty glares when consuming said items in public areas. I bought my sandwich, walked outside the store and cracked it open. I then hid around the corner of the next building (since I am painfully aware of these strange social customs) but people would still walk by, then turn their heads and look at me and my sandwich judgingly. I’m not sure where I should be eating it, since I don’t have a house nearby nor a public park with benches. Perhaps a toilet stall? At least I’d get privacy.

Across the street from my sinful sandwich eating was a tourist attraction that I had long planned on seeing but now would be unable to.

DSCN1456
This is Aoyama Theatre…and it is obviously putting on a production of ‘Grease’.

Back in June, I had read that one of my favourite funny TV actors, Ikuta Toma, would be starring in a live production of ‘Grease’ as Danny Zuko, to be showing while I was in Japan. I deduced that I would be able to understand the story as well as experience the glory of being in the presence of a popular Japanese idol, so it was a no-brainer! But…as the news of NEWS came to light, I had to give up ‘Grease’. I’m still a bit sad, but I’d rather experience the radiance of six Japanese idols rather than just one.

DSCN1458
Ikuta Toma is clearly the star.

DSCN1459
I think that’s supposed to be Kenickie at the bottom…not even close.

I went and bought a pair of boots (they fit! Yay!) at Muji and continued on my journey...even the architecture is stylish here.

DSCN1460

Anyone who has listened (and paid attention to) my inherent ramblings will know that my favourite designers as of late are Vivienne Westwood (as always), COMME des GARCONS, Miu Miu, and Alexander McQueen. While Vivienne Westwood is massively popular here in Japan, COMME des GARCONS flies slightly more under the radar (in my opinion) though it is designed by a Japanese genius extraordinaire. Before heading to Japan, I had read about how Louis Vuitton collaborated with COMME des GARCONS to re-design classic LV bags and would open a limited-time-only store down in Aoyama. I spotted the store and wanted to mark the occasion in an inconspicuous manner…

DSCN1461
I think it’s considered very bad manners in Japan to take pictures of stores, so maybe the side angle saved my shame? I think the clerk can still see me.

A bit of walking made me all sweaty and hot so I sat for a spell on a bench(!) I found outside a store. I noticed my next stop was close by, so I needed to gather my composure to enter…

DSCN1463

DSCN1464
No…not here.

DSCN1468
Yay!! Yes, this is a bag because I bought something…tee hee! Impulse buys are maybe not the kindest for my wallet. The store was so insanely stylish I don’t even know how to describe it …the models displaying the clothes had these giant wrap things on their heads…everything was mostly either black, white, or gray…does the word “avant-garde” mean anything to you? Look it up. I bought a cardigan – not very risky I suppose.

There is an absolutely gorgeous structure down in Aoyama that is serves as a store for a particular luxury brand…say hello to the Prada building.

6a00d834522e9c69e200e553822a918834-800wi

DSCN1466

Whoo-wheee. Shall we head inside? Why not!?!

DSCN1467

DSCN1469

I risked life and limb for these crappy photos. If taking a picture of the outside of a store is considered bad manners, how much worse is it to take a picture inside one (muchless Prada!)? Oh well. Let me tell you, the carpet in there was so plush my feet sank almost half an inch down. The service was extremely friendly and accommodating and the leather benches were truly made from the youngest calves ever. So…that was fun, ne? Yeah….

DSCN1470
That was an experience.

The Aoyama-Omotesando-Harajuku area is a maze of small roads and back alleys, all intertwining with shops tucked around every corner. It was on one particular alley that I found another Vivi store and, of course, I went in.

DSCN1471

Again, insanely overpriced items for sale. I was carrying my own Vivienne bag that I bought in London that day (which can be seen here) and I estimate the price would have been about $1,000. And they were snobby, which I was surprised about. At least, I am thinking it was snobbery since the man who followed me from room to room never said a word. Unless he was just hovering in case I had any questions in a language that he would not be able understand. Always a story, ne?

I hauled out my shopping guide and continued wandering.

DSCN1472

DSCN1473

Having spent far too many dollars already, I treated myself to my final crepe (as it would end up) here in Japan. Tears + crepes = salty-sweet goodbye.

DSCN1474
Blueberry cheezu-cake.

With a crepe-filled tummy, I returned home to Urawa only to find my incredibly sweet host mother had prepared the tastiest yakisoba I have ever had the pleasure of tasting.

DSCN1482
How much food can I jam down? Lots.

That night I felt like I wanted to more shopping (I just might need some therapy, ne?) so I headed to the Parco behind Urawa station to further examine the stores I missed on my last trip.

DSCN1484

Leaving Parco to walk home, I noticed quite the amusing signage across the street. Laugh with me.

DSCN1486
What.

As I was giggling to myself while setting up my tripod to capture the hilarity, I also enjoyed many confused stares from the patrons waiting at the nearby bus stop. Don’t they get it? Probably not. Ass one housing. Ha ha. You can’t make this stuff up.

Arriving home once more, my host mother had prepared dinner number two – this one more extravagant than the yakisoba before.

DSCN1487
Home-made gyoza…I want her to move to my house and cook for me. YUM YUM!

DSCN1489
How does she do it all?

We relaxed for the evening and I spent some quality time with my new friend Chobi. Aishiteru Chobi-chan!

DSCN1490

Tomorrow: URAWA REDS vs. GAMBA OSAKA. I will be there, the die-hard soccer fan that I am. :) ‘WELCOME TO RED HELL!’ indeed.

0 comments: