(Day 25) Welcome to Red Hell

>> Wednesday, October 22, 2008

DSCN1491
Kokeshi doll from my kitchen, hanging out in my bedroom.

Each day trickles by, full of awesome memories…today I will make many more. Our adventure began when Maya suggested that we head north instead of south for once and visit the city where she used to hang out as a teenager, Omiya. We arrived slightly before lunch and proceeded up to the restaurant floor of Lumine. We decided on a Hawaiian restaurant and opted for the rooftop patio. Good choice!

DSCN1493

The drinks and soup were buffet-style, so I decided to try the soup:

DSCN1495
This is egg soup. Interesting, ne! It was quite good.

DSCN1496
This is my lunch for October 22: A macaroni/lettuce salad, clumps of rice sprinkled with some tropical bits of something, and an omlet, filled with mushrooms (I think?) and covered in 1000 Island dressing. Eh…not the best since I hate 1000 Island dressing. Is this really Hawaiian? I guess I’ll have to go there and find out.

DSCN1497
Maya

DSCN1498

After lunch, we headed to OIOI and Tokyu Hands for more shopping (what else?) before heading home to prepare for our big night out.

DSCN1499
What a cute little family.

DSCN1500
Ew, Avril.

DSCN1501
Lumine

Tonight was an exciting evening because I would be attending my first big soccer game ever – Urawa Reds vs. Gamba Osaka. Since I am staying in Urawa with Maya, we are, of course, Urawa Reds fans. In order to look the part, Maya’s boyfriend was kind enough to borrow me and Ogu (Maya’s friend also attending) jerseys that he made us promise not to wash (which I didn’t…but a little Muji fabric spray never hurt).

DSCN1502
Ni a’u?

DSCN1503
Oh yeah, Okano baby! He doesn’t play very often anymore, so the jersey is a bit of an antique. This will just continue to prove that I am die-hard.

The bus for the stadium left from in front of Parco so we boarded and felt the buzz and excitement build.

DSCN1504
Can you feel it? Ehh…

DSCN1505
Here we go!

Maya wanted to arrive early since it was rush seating and the doors opened at 4:00 though the game started at 7:30. The fans were hardcore! It was swarming with people when we arrived around 4:45 – a complete sea of red bodies.

DSCN1506
Me, Ogu, and Maya

DSCN1507
I think I can say, without a doubt, that I finally fit in.

We snuck into line with Maya’s boyfriend who had already been waiting a while and when we got through gate, took off running to score a good seat.

DSCN1508
Scrambling people.

We actually ran to the wrong side of the stadium and eventually found our way to the correct side (one side was the “loud” side and the other side was the “less loud” side – we were “less loud”.)

DSCN1509

In the picture above, you will notice the empty seats on the side – these are for the season ticket holders who don’t need to come three hours early. You will also notice the giant red-iron barrier gates…these require a bit more explanation. If you click for that explanation, you will find that in May of this year, Reds fans didn’t take the 3-2 win of Osaka over Urawa lightly and basically rioted. This is, of course, out of the proper social order for Japanese people to act so wildly and the gates and police officers are there to ensure that it doesn’t happen again.

DSCN1512

While waiting for the game to start, we settled into our seats and started munching on things, like this delicious yakisoba:

DSCN1510

DSCN1513

Once the game did start, I was completely captivated. The energy and spirit of the stadium was palpable. The “loud” side starting singing and the singing never once stopped during the game, except between songs. I took a small video to give you a sense of what it was like…



DSCN1516
These people were amazing. I brought my binoculars so I watched them intently – jumping, singing, drumming, banner waving…their vigour was inspiring.

DSCN1522
Boo!! Boo Osaka Boo! Actually, they aren’t all that bad.

DSCN1528
Excitement during stretching.

The “loud” side continued to surprise throughout the game with their coordinated efforts on a large-scale:

DSCN1532

DSCN1541
Wow.

DSCN1533
One of the banners proclaimed, “WELCOME TO RED HELL” which was splendid.

Since I love panoramic shots that (attempt to) capture these dear moments in my life, I bring you another (click picture to enlarge!):

Reds copy

The first half finished with Urawa ahead 2-0, and Osaka came back and scored 4-2 (if I recall correctly)…we ended up losing the match…*cry* (T.T) The mood was somber leaving the stadium, but everyone was civil (a bit to my dismay…I’m terrible). Once we arrived back in Urawa at 11:00, my host mother prepared an exquisite dinner – officially the latest dinner of my life after I finished at 12:30 AM. Everything is awesome…everything except for the salarymen who are just generally rude, but I digress.

Tomorrow, I taste the most delicious ramen known to humankind and then go to prison.

0 comments: