Just Need Some Shochu

>> Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I’ve been out of the loop here for a while. Boo on that. Spring is whizzing by so I want to stay caught up with its magic, bringing it to you in these posts. Two gorgeous Sundays ago, I rallied my troops (Janelle and Marty) and we loaded up for some good, old-fashioned sakura hunting. Yes, those elusive, shortly-lived beauties that explode into colour during the first warm weeks of spring. I’m not a flower enthusiast by any means…it’s just that my work told me that if I ever want to visit Japan during sakura season, well, I’d have to find a new job (accounting year-end…boo hiss boo!)

Our first stop was the lovely Queen Elizabeth Park, which the Internet seemed to think would be bursting with some of the early cultivars. Sure enough, there were people sitting under the trees on blankets, but nary a petal in sight.

IMG_0317

Undeterred, we moved about to other areas of the park, searching for the exact trees I had penciled into my sakura strategy guide.

IMG_0318

IMG_0319

IMG_0321

IMG_0322

IMG_0324
Psh…even looking over the entire city I don’t spot one.

As an aside, do you remember all those panoramic shots I tried to do in Japan? Well, I attempted another here with QE Park’s view of the Vancouver skyline. Clicky-click to enlarge.

QEParkv2

Time to break out the big guns. I pull out my special dog whistle and call for my trusty sakura-sniffing coyote friend – TO THE RESCUE!

IMG_0331
Okay, that story is fake. This is a real coyote though, roaming the grounds at the park. He was kind of freaky, baring is fangs and whatnot. Okay, that’s a lie too. He was real though – that’s true.

Continuing to wander, I was convinced that two trees at the end of the park must be in bloom. I led and the troops marched on.

IMG_0332

IMG_0333

Nothing. Well, onto the next destination in Erin’s Sakura Strategy Guide, some streets up in the Kitsilano area. Before that, I did manage to find something in bloom.

IMG_0334

The streets that the ‘net had listed in the West End were disappointing. I was feeling quite dejected when we happened to pass a street which elicited a shriek out of me. Dangerous driving aside, Marty got me to my prey in an orderly fashion. Good man.

IMG_0336

IMG_0337

Oh you so lovely pretty little blossoms.

IMG_0338

More streets down brought more variation in colour and density.

IMG_0341copy

IMG_0344

IMG_0345

IMG_0348

IMG_0349

Uwaaaaa~! I am fulfilled. Being so close to Kits Beach, we decided to relax near the sand and surf for a spell.

IMG_0351

IMG_0352

We met this little guy who had a bum leg.

IMG_0353

IMG_0354

Once the heat from the day began to dissipate, we retired over to 4th Ave for some eats. We landed at Las Margaritas – quite a popular spot with a line up out the door. I was in the mood to wait (surprise surprise!) so waited we did, but not for very long.

IMG_0355

IMG_0356

IMG_0358

IMG_0360
HO MAN was this good. I had the salmon burrito and it was absolutely perfect. The black beans and everything have me almost drooling on my keyboard as we speak. Ah…too late. I think I want to go back there soon.

So that’s my first adventure for this busy April. The next weekend, we head over to gorgeous Victoria for the busy Easter weekend. Peeps not included.

0 comments: