(Day 1) Baby's First Business Trip

>> Sunday, May 24, 2009

I was supposed to be in Japan during the last half of May but something came up…that something was a trip to Ottawa and Montreal, courtesy of my wonderful job. Of course, I was going to learn about the wonders of research accounting, but who says you can’t have a little fun along the way? Not me, certainly. Since I cannot pass up a free vacation (anyone would be crazy to), Japan will have to wait a few months. And so off I flew into the wild blue yonder…and found myself during a stopover in Calgary, cramming in some homework while mooching the free WiFi.

DSCN2174

The flight was fairly uneventful and during the nearly six-hour haul (seriously, how is Canada so big? I mean, how is teleporting coming, scientists?) I dozed in and out of conciousness. So did many others.

DSCN2175

DSCN2176

I was surprised at how forest-y Ottawa looked! Coming down, the whole city peeks out beneath a heavy coating of trees – how lovely. Soon enough, I was waiting at the baggage carousel with many annoying parties, all jostling together, eager to grab our bags and run.

DSCN2177
I have arrived!

I took a ride on the YOW shuttle along with Brad, the Director of the Research Office – we happened to be on the same flight so he gave me the rundown on the sites we passed. The ride was quite eventful indeed! Our driver, whose name was either Jackal or Dagger (I couldn’t decipher through his thick accent, but both are killer), announced it was his first day driving the shuttle and most of the roads to our hotels were blocked since it was Marathon weekend in Ottawa. He took the giant yellow vehicle down the most forsaken of streets, through narrow residential areas, ran no less than two red lights and squeezed the vehicle down a gridlocked street by creating his own lane between vehicles. Hectic! If it was a Disney attraction, it would have been worth the $14, for sure. After an hour on the road for a trip that should have taken 20 minutes, he managed to get us relatively close to the mall that connected to the Westin and stopped in the middle (seriously, beside the median) of a busy road to unload us. Oi. At check-in the girl told me she had me booked in a very nice room – she was right!

DSCN2178
Here we have the Parliament in the top right corner with the Rideau Canal in the bottom left. The Ottawa River is visible close to the top with the Conference Board of Canada in the foreground. HELLO CANADA CITY (as I would proceed to call it)!

Let’s take a tour of my $300 per night room:

DSCN2179
The entrance, closet and mini bar.

DSCN2185
My lighted closet, shown before I moved in and my crap was everywhere.

DSCN2180
Bathroom, obviously. This had the best lighting ever.

DSCN2181
Shower.

DSCN2182
My heavenly king bed. It really was called a heavenly bed. It was decent. It looks a little messy in that photo because I have a long-standing tradition of flinging myself onto the bed as a first order of business when I check into a hotel. This usually means landing on a pile of brochures and room service papers, but I don’t use those anyway.

DSCN2183
36” flat panel, naturally. I don’t “do” full-sized TV’s in hotels anymore – I’m spoiled.

After kicking back for a while, I visited the Rideau Centre Mall which was attached to the hotel, picked up some sushi for dinner and picked up my conference goods when I arrived back at the hotel.

DSCN2186

DSCN2187
I munched on sushi and watched some ‘Gossip Girl’.

Now, onto exploring this new city! I wasn’t quite sure where to head first, so I kind of wandered aimlessly in the direction of Byward Market with the eventual goal of landing somewhere near the Parliament buildings.

DSCN2189
Yay! They’re old buildings! It’s like a real vacation now.

DSCN2190
Guys playing stuff at Byward Market.

DSCN2194
More old stuff – woot!

DSCN2196

DSCN2199
It is one of those cool spiders like I saw in Japan! How did one land here? Is there a cult or something I don’t know about? Weird.

DSCN2200
Parliament from the lovely Major Hills Park (that’s really the name! And no, it had no major hills. And yes, I’m aware that isn’t really why it is named that.)

DSCN2201
Parliamentary library and the Ottawa River.

DSCN2202
Lilacs in remembrance of my Granny…I’m sure that’s why they planted them there.

DSCN2206
The locks of the Rideau Canal.

DSCN2207
Finally – I made it to the buildings of Canada City!

DSCN2208
Oh I think I could get used to that…”Senator Erin, park your Maserati over here.” Muahaha ha, spending my constituents money like water! (Wait…Senators don’t have constituents.) All ballin’ in my fur coats and bling from Jacob the Jeweler! Don’t know who he is? Look him up. Moving along…

DSCN2209

I should’ve probably warned you that my trip to Canada City would involve about a billion pictures of Parliament. Sorry about that. But there are so many angles to be shared!

I joined some heavy metal ladies for a proclamation:

DSCN2210

DSCN2211
”Hear hear!” Woman’s Lib!

DSCN2213

DSCN2216
The most propaneiest-smelling flame ever.

DSCN2217

So that’s all for Parliament pictures today – wasn’t it nice? It’s like you were there too.

I hung out in my room until all hours of the night and then at midnight I headed to the gym for a five-mile run – no joke. Because I worked so hard, I thought maybe I could buy something for a treat! What will it be, hmmm…

DSCN2218
Hoy. Maybe I should nosh on some organic nachos for $8…or a $5 vector bar (I don’t think a full box in store is $5). Right, uh huh…I think I’ll stick with the gummies I picked up from Sugar Mountain for $2.

I eventually made it into bed at some unholy hour. Let’s get one last picture in before bed:

DSCN2219
Aw crap, I lied. Okay, that’s the last Parliament shot for the day…until tomorrow of course, when there will be more.

1 comments:

KPetrie July 6, 2009 at 6:21 PM  

Aweseome photos! ALL of them! Glad I popped over!