Trekkies

>> Sunday, May 17, 2009

May long always finds me busy with things. Last May long, I was in Calgary and Banff (ff-ff-ff) and had a wonderful time…this year, I started my weekend with dinner at Lou’s with Grant, Rachel, and Marty, followed by a Saturday drive to Richmond to test drive an A4 (wow – hot), and finish the evening with a viewing of Star Trek. The next day, I became a trekkie myself (that is, a person who treks), when I headed into Vancouver to hike with Jen and Chris at Lynn Headwaters Regional Park in North Vancouver.

The day was warm so many Chinese ladies with giant visors and Fendi bags were roaming about the park with their little dogs and husbands.

DSCN2109

DSCN2110
Jen, between the porta-potties, clearly thrilled.

We stumbled over the little dogs scurrying around and found our way onto the trail – tally ho!

DSCN2111
Jen, pushing Chris off a cliff. It was short. He survived. No Chris’ were harmed in the making of this blog.

Though it was the middle of May and incredibly warm (by my estimations), there were these obscure snow fields everywhere, some of it melted, leading to a muddy, possibly sink-hole infested hike through the forest.

DSCN2113

DSCN2114

After the first 4K or something, we found a lovely stream and stopped to nosh on some goods and try not to get mauled by the crazy, leash-less dog that was running about. Given the late start, we decided to head back and began dreaming of the bulgogi (Korean grilled meat) we agreed on for dinner.

DSCN2117

DSCN2118

DSCN2122

I flooded my shoes no less than two times as the trail (I won’t call it a path as there really wasn’t one) took us to crossing streams with very unsteady rocks…thankfully, the water was clean…squish squish squish.

We found a giant tree stump in the middle of the forest and Jen insisted she could lift it…so she did.

DSCN2124
WOW AMAZING. I’M SO BLOWN AWAY.

Chris was determined not to be shown up by his woman.

DSCN2127
A bit of straining, obviously, but seemingly effortless as well. I have no words except that his shirt matches the tree. I suck at writing blogs today.

After the haul back, we headed down to Seoul House Royal Korean Restaurant, voted #1 by the Georgia Straight (don’t know what that is? Oh.)

DSCN2128

DSCN2130

We ordered the royal dinner or something like that; I hadn’t eaten Korean much before, so the variety of dishes that arrived were of great interest to me.

DSCN2131

DSCN2132

DSCN2134

DSCN2135
Here, of course is some kimchi (bottom, right) along with other things I can’t remember the names of. Very tangy things.

After polishing off nearly everything in sight, we left and headed to Capers for dessert items to snack on at the beach. The beach in question was the beautiful Spanish Banks in Point Grey.

DSCN2139

DSCN2140

I even took off my shoes to walk in the sand – this is surely an accomplishment because if you know how I am, you know that I’d be complaining about how my feet would get dirty, sand would get in between my toenails and shoes, sand would get dragged into my car, it would stick to my feet, the chance of broken glass hidden beneath a sand mound is quite a high probability, etc… :) Yes, this is how I am. I was carefree and wild!

DSCN2141

DSCN2146
Downtown Vancouver

DSCN2147
No makeup…My Heritage says that when I don’t wear make up I look like Ashton Kutcher, Sean Astin, Connor Oberst or William Moseley. How flattering.

The tide was out quite far that evening so some people wandered out to the surf…and then the tide came in crazy-fast.

DSCN2150
I want to walk on water.

The day, while exhausting, was a big ball of fun. Thanks again to the shatzes for showing me (another) great time. Shimassssss.

DSCN2149

3 comments:

KPetrie July 6, 2009 at 6:26 PM  

wow..amazing photos! and i think you look hawt without make up!

Erin July 6, 2009 at 9:13 PM  

Oh Krista, I knew there was a reason I loved you - JK! There are too many to count.

As always, thanks for the nice comments!

KPetrie July 6, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

lol Anytime, babe!