The Pig Whisperers

>> Thursday, May 21, 2009

The day after my hiking adventures, Jean and I headed into the bowels of the Fraser Valley prairies to for a different sort of adventure than our usual Vancouver jaunts, taking in the sights and sounds of the Xá:ytem Longhouse and quaint Kilby Farm.

What is a Xá:ytem Longhouse, you ask? Well, to be honest, I’m not quite sure either, but I believe it is something like this:

DSCN2151

DSCN2152
Here is Jean warming her hands by the non-existent fire. I told her to pretend for the sake of realism. Did it work?

So we sat on these benches for a while, warming ourselves by the fire and chatting. Sometimes other tourists would enter, wander around the hut and then feel awkward around us and leave. That is kind of terrible I think because we didn’t even pay to get in. Terrible indeed. Neat-o! So that’s about it here. Let’s move on now to Kilby Farms!

Kilby Farms was a bit of a drive beyond Mission and far out into the sticks…but it was teeming with people when we arrived. What a hot establishment!

DSCN2153

We went for the full farm experience and even purchased some delicious animal feed for our new friends.

DSCN2154

DSCN2155

DSCN2156
This guy was really gross-looking so we didn’t give him any food since we kind of wanted him to starve to death so he would stop scaring people with his saggy skin. PETA would hate us. We do love animals, really. (At least a few of them.)

DSCN2157
Jean was willing to get her hand all slobbered just for the animals.

Some future pork chops were up next, these cute and cuddly piggies!

DSCN2158
Aw, herro rittle friends!

DSCN2159
Grain-fed is the only way to maintain succulent meat.

DSCN2160

DSCN2161

These kind of old farmhouses always have a little shop with really old little crap in it, also known as a museum. This is fun! Let’s go in.

DSCN2162

My favourites are always the old Sears catalogues and newspaper ads and stories. The lady in the shop was really interested in telling Jean about the effects of water beetles in a quite condescending tone, insisting that “People from Vancouver will need to start paying more attention!” Eh, well, I’ll take note of it if I ever move to Vancouver.

DSCN2163

After a whirlwind tour of the museum, we headed to the tiny restaurant/souvenir shop for high tea.

DSCN2164

The place was staffed by a stout lady who whacked me over the head with a menu and said, “NO!” with a frown when I asked for water. She did bring my water shortly and asked if I knew she was kidding. Um..yeah, ok? Ha..ha? D:

DSCN2166

DSCN2165

On our way home, we stopped by one of those East Indian greenhouse/country stores that dot the landscape in the Matsqui prairie.

DSCN2167

DSCN2168

DSCN2169

DSCN2171

Ah, what fun. Thanks again to Jean who always provides for excellent adventures…please more to come?

The next few days were busy, preparing for my trip to Ottawa and Montreal...but first, I spent an evening with Sachie and enjoyed some stew at the Duke of Dublin and a walk at Albert Dyck Lake…I love this town.

DSCN2172

DSCN2173

1 comments:

Jeaner June 30, 2009 at 1:17 AM  

you are the best blogger. ever.