(Day 2) The Delegates

>> Monday, May 25, 2009

After an incredibly short sleep, I was up for my first session at the ridiculously unreasonable hour of 9 AM. What are they thinking? A, it’s Sunday. B, this doesn’t make it feel very vacation-like, even though it isn’t supposed to. Ugh. Anyways, I sat through 8 (count ‘em, 8!) hours of discussion regarding research grants and contracts. Truthfully…it was quite interesting! Yes, these were some of the most interesting sessions of the conference so I was entertained.

During lunch Brad invited me out to dinner with him and Debi (another research office staff) and I agreed…when 5 PM rolled around, I still hadn’t heard a thing. I figured they didn’t know how to get a hold of me so I headed down to Shoppers D in the mall and picked up a nice big bag o’ chips. Kicking back on my bed under the covers, down the hatchet they went. As I was just finishing the last few crumbs, the phone rings and it’s Brad, telling me we are meeting for dinner at 6 in the lobby. Uh-oh. A few minutes later, the phone rings again and its Debi, telling me we are meeting for dinner at 6 in the lobby. Double uh-oh. So, full of chips, I headed to dinner at 6.

DSCN2221

DSCN2220
Delicious prosciutto, red onion, and goat cheese pizza.

We chatted about many things and debated the difference between prosciutto and pancetta (prosciutto is Italian ham, pancetta is Italian bacon). After a rousing dinner and dessert (not me because I was now full of pizza AND chips), we headed out to work some of it off.

DSCN2222

We walked near the Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica I saw yesterday but this time, we were feeling adventurous and Brad boldly headed inside…

DSCN2225

DSCN2226
POW! Amazing.

We walked further yet towards the inter-provincial bridge, which connects Ontario and Quebec, and settled in for a nice view up on the hill.

DSCN2228

An attempted panoramic in the dusk lighting (click to enlarge!!)

Ottawav2
Oh beautiful Canada City.

DSCN2230
Here’s me standing with one leg in Ontario and one in Quebec, clutching the remains of my prosciutto pizza. Two places at once!! No big deal.

We headed back down and through Major Hill Park (muahahaha again) and I found the most peculiar sign…

DSCN2240
Do you see? We shan’t tiptoe through the tulips in Canada City. I walked by two days later and they were plowed. Boo hoo hoo dear tulips.

Ah yes, this fellow:

DSCN2241
Poor thing. I think it is too late for him now. I just feel that they way he fell he would have hit the back of his neck on the cliff – snap! Oh the tragedy.

As the park runs alongside it, our next stop was the Fairmont Chateau Laurier, old and very cool, as many Fairmonts are. We wandered the hotel like legitimate guests and checked out the fancy bathrooms.

DSCN2246

DSCN2245

DSCN2243
Me and Debi, clearly fascinated with the mirrored bathroom foyer.

As Debi had not yet had the chance to check out Parliament, off I headed there again! Guess what pictures are coming up next? Do you know? Can you guess?

DSCN2247
See, there is only one today.

We wandered down the pedestrian mall and then headed to the War Monument, where the Remembrance Day ceremonies are broadcast from each year.

DSCN2248

DSCN2249
Here is the tomb of the unknown soldier…can anyone tell my why there are is money on it? I can’t fathom.

DSCN2252
So this is my hotel! And you can see my room – fourth row from the top-top with curtains open and light off, between the two brightly lit rooms. Nice, hey?!

Later relaxing like a pimp in my room (do pimps relax in hotel rooms? Weird.), I donned my robe and watched more TV until all hours while creating vacation spreadsheets.

DSCN2254

DSCN2255
In the ethereal glow of my wonderful bathroom.

I finally stumbled into bed at some ridiculously late hour again…and I have to be up again for a 10:30 AM session. Oh the life of an accountant-rock star.

Tomorrow, Janelle arrives! Fresh from Africa, she is heading out on another mini-vacation to see me. I’m sure there will be some more pictures of the Canada City Parliament.

3 comments:

KPetrie July 9, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

lol I love your pimp look..you rock it out!

Wicked pics, as usual! LOVE the one where it's dusk and you took the pic of the building through the wrought iron fence..wow..stunning!

Unknown July 9, 2009 at 4:57 PM  

nice. i'm jealous of you standing in 2 provinces at once....if only. oh hotel living at someone else's expense...

Erin July 9, 2009 at 7:39 PM  

Aw you guys read my blog!! Yay!

I'm glad you like my pictures Krista...always, always a huge compliment.

T'was a fun trip...stay tuned for the next part!