(Day 3) Let's Go Throw Bricks

>> Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Wanna see what I saw when I rolled out bed this AM? Let me share it with you:

DSCN2262
Ahhhhh, good morning Canada!

After the morning session of audit and outcome measurements (of which I snuck out early – shhhh!) I took a walk during lunch before my next session at 1:30 and headed down Rideau, where a beggar shouted at a serviceman “Thank you for protecting Canada!”; it was quite touching. I feel so patriotic here. I also headed down, once again, to Byward market in search of snacks to augment my lunch of cold pizza from last night.

DSCN2263

DSCN2264

DSCN2267

After more afternoon sessions regarding coordination of portfolios and tax issues, I was free!...and Janelle had arrived! Oh dearest B! I bought her a little “Welcome to Canada City” present. (No, it is not a Canada flag pin, but it could have been.)

DSCN2268
Just this ridiculously overpriced confection from a Belgian brand. Can you believe this was six dollars? They saw me coming. At least she liked it!

Turns out Janelle actually had a little International treat for me too…

DSCN2269
I have the best little sister ever. London’s most famous brand combined with chocoalmonds…let the crazy begin.

As soon as the crazy started, it was over. I had to attend the gala dinner that evening so Janelle resorted to entertaining herself with going to the gym and I went off to schmooze. Each attendee was given one ticket for a free bevvy so I, of course, chose the most expensive and classiest one available – a martini straight-up, no olives (although olives may have been even classier). Oh yeah, I’m out for blood. They were $10.50!! Unbelievable. I began to schmooze and everyone fell under my spell and chattered amongst themselves about how charismatic I was. Oh wait, no, they didn’t. Since the dinner was mostly targeted towards the “older” folks (I’m being nice here), I bolted right before the dessert arrived – yes, you heard that correctly. Since Janelle and I are dessert queens, I knew we’d be off venturing shortly…I was right:

DSCN2270

I saw Zak’s Diner on one of my many walks through Byward market and it looked like a cute ‘50s place that promised great, old fashioned desserts. DSCN2272

I opted for the “sky-high” apple pie, and Janelle ordered the brownie sundae.

DSCN2273
Um, if that is sky-high, we alls gonna be squished soon…by the sky.

DSCN2275
This picture tells two lies: 1) Janelle seems wide awake when in fact she nearly fell asleep shortly after this picture was taken; and 2) That brownie sundae looks good but is really crap. I give this place a giant poop sandwich. I can’t believe they charged us $7 a pop for these atrocious falsities.

Janelle was crashing and burning, so we made our way home, disappointed and worried that the bums and gang members we encountered were going to attack us. Byward gets uber-sketchy at night.

Tomorrow, I’m free! No conferencing for me tomorrow, so me and Janelle are going to tear this city up – Canada-style.

0 comments: