(Day 4) Kitsch

>> Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Vacation! Lazy! Yes, that’s me. Today I slllooowwwwllllyyy got up and got ready and did the long-ish journey out to Kichijoji, the cool hood of…cool people. I dunno. It feels cool there. Anyway, I was alone again today for the most part but I kept myself entertained…with crepes! Well, not just crepes. But I started with that.

L1030216
Black and white crepes are sooo classy.

L1030218

The next stop was epic and leads into my first segment of what I have entitled “Adventures in Japanese Clothes-Buying”. Not very original, I realize, but bear with me. So I headed into Ragtag, my favourite designer second-hand shop in the world, and I grab two delightful coats and head into the change room. Let me introduce piece number one, courtesy of the most precious ‘enfant terrible’, Rei Kawakubo of Comme des Garçons:

L1030229

It’s a coat with giant bulgy sections of stuffed cotton inside. Random. While this look isn’t terribly new for CdG, I’m posting this not for CdG aficionados (of which I am the only one I know), but for those readers who will get a kick out of this.

L1030220

The guy in the shop pointed out to me it’s very “Christmas-y”.

L1030221
I really look a lot thicker. Makes sense.

L1030223
It’s like I had a built-in back pillow!

L1030225
Rad details.

The second piece was decidedly less avante garde – a military-style jacket with tails by Limi Feu.

L1030228

I bought it (the Limi, not the CdG – I don’t really want to be thick.) Yess! Love love love. Aaaaand, that’s it for the first (and likely last) segment of bizarre clothes.

New purchase firmly in hand, I headed down the alley into Inokashira park. My favourite chill-out spot in Mitaka.

L1030231

L1030233

L1030234

L1030238

L1030240
Gorgeous! I love these veiny trees.

L1030241

L1030247

After a brief sit and some ‘Mother Mother’ serenading the passersby in the swan boats, I headed back into town and picked up a few supplies at one of my favourite general stores, Loft.

17
Yikes! I do not want this product. I don’t even know what it is.

18
In case you can’t read this, it is men’s disposable panties. Interesting. It also says,

We’re just a heart beat away
One touch could make it happen
We can reach the other side if we hold on to the passion


Did I mention that this was on men’s disposable panties? OK. Just checking.

This trip I managed to only visit ONE temple or shrine. ONE. I deserve an award. This particular one just happened to fall alongside the shopping arcade in Kichijoji and I’d never been before so I escaped the crowds but for a minute…

L1030255

L1030256

Here’s also another adventure in funny business names:

L1030257
Dog Wiz!

I met Janelle for dinner at our favourite shabu-shabu spot, Nabezo. I love this place…just meat…everywhere.

L1030259

This was my fifth visit to this restaurant and I’ve sat in the same booth every single time…and they seat me. Isn’t it bizarre?

L1030260

This is a pretty standard blog, isn’t it? Sorry…I did some boring stuff this trip – it can’t all be a non-stop party. Next up was karaoke at Ban Ban.

L1030261

L1030264

We eventually parted ways and I headed back over to Akasaka. I had secretly gotten into the Christmas spirit over at Seiyu and bought a $2 tree! Festivus, here we come.

L1030265
Yes, those are real presents.

So tomorrow I wander off into new territory over in quiet-but-hip Shimokitazawa. Then…some Shibuya with a little stalkerish fellow and finally, Lex. Rad.

2 comments:

rachelandgrant January 28, 2011 at 10:56 AM  

love the men's panties...so random!

Erin January 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM  

Yay! A comment from Rachel!!