Coup d'état (Part 9)

>> Monday, February 13, 2012

Let’s Bugis! Get it? I guess it’s not obvious. I went to Bugis Junction straight away this morning, after my usual puttering about the apartment. For lunch, I decided to pluck through the food offerings and finally found the ubiquitous kaya toast that my friend Rachel told me about before I left. She told me to try it and tell her about it. Well Rachel, I tried it. And it was great!

L1050559

L1050561
It was buttery and sweet! Mmmm.

I also had a cream puff. Lunch of champs.

I did a bit of plucking through the junction, bought a bunch of dresses, and then headed to the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf for coffee break. It’s that time again, Jack.

L1050562

L1050563

photo (20)

L1050564

IT. IS. TIME. Time to plunder Haji Lane. Y’all ain’t ready.

L1050566

L1050567

L1050568

L1050571

L1050572

L1050573

All in all, I did pretty good. I got a bunch of souvenirs, a waffle-textured leather clutch, a jangly maple leaf necklace (represent), and some sweet pins. I headed home to prepare for the impending night out.

The first place I was summoned to is arguably the most famous landmark in Singapore, the Marina Bay Sands. It was at Ku De Ta, the sky bar, where I enjoyed some amazing views of the city, all snapped by my handy iPhone (the Leica was too bulky for the new clutch.)

photo (22)

photo (24)

photo (25)

photo (26)

Dinner was our next destination, and it was at a non-descript restaurant named Jim Thompson. Thai? I wouldn’t have guessed, nor would I have chosen, but it wasn’t my choice, and Brett can be very insistent…

photo (27)
A fish! A whole fish with the head and everything. Man was it ugly.

photo (28)

photo (29)

photo (30)

photo (31)

photo (32)

It was amazing, but everyone else on earth might have already guessed that. I am a Thai convert.

Tomorrow is my last full day in Singapore and I’m going to try to do something really…Singaporean! Seriously though…what is normal for a native here? There don’t seem to be very many…

0 comments: