Shake My Soul (Part 12)

>> Thursday, February 16, 2012

Getting out of bed in the morning is a bit tougher when you only got home at, say, 5 AM, but there I was, riding the train up to the middle of proverbial nowhere, heading east to a station called Oshiage. Mayuko told me to meet her there at 13:00, exit A3. Why does 13:00 feel like 7 AM? There isn’t even anyone on the train headed this way…where are we going?

L1050636
I’m jealous of the bottle of wine in that ad. I could use a hammock right now.

L1050640

This is the Tokyo Sky Tree. It is the latest and greatest in communications towers in Japan and it’s not even open yet, but it has already spawned a TV drama series and it has its own gift and souvenir shop. It’s huge. I went into tourist mode and started shooting.

L1050641

L1050642

Being the good little tourists we are, we visited the souvenir shop next.

L1050639

Omg a countdown clock! I should come back to Japan for the grand opening in May.

Like every good tower in Japan, it has it’s own set of mascot characters. This one has this cutie girl with her penguin and puppy. Makes sense, doesn’t it?

L1050638

I almost-almost bought a cellophane-wrapped box of cookies for ¥1,280 (~$15.00), but then I came back to my senses. Cookies. Telecommunications tower cookies.

For lunch, we hit up this surf-shack café that had literally three tables in it. I can’t see how they run a profitable business, but okay. What mattered was that I had really missed my dear Mayuko, and was so happy to see her.

L1050643

She had made Valentine’s chocolate (as is custom for girls in Japan), and had brought me some. What a sweetheart.

L1050657

L1050656
Almost as many photos of the chocolate as Tokyo Sky Tree. Alright!

L1050644
Japanese curry - one of my favourite dishes ever.

We then headed back down to a more populated area of the city, Ginza.

L1050645

L1050646

No visit with Mayuko is generally complete until we go to karaoke. It’s kind of a rule. So we found what I like to call a “sing-hodai” (all-you-can-sing, but we really only got an hour), but on the way there was a FIRE! ”At first, I thought someone was BBQing…”

L1050647

Well, wouldn’t you know it,; we had to stand on the street with the hoardes of people gawking at the smoke billowing out of the building for a while, and then we moved along. Nothing really to see, since it seemed like it was coming from behind the building.

L1050648
Mayuko always manages to get us these massive party rooms.

L1050649

L1050651
Mayuko always sings this one. I remember because the lyrics are “shake shake shake shake shake my soul”. Not sure how one would do that.

After working up an appetite sing-hodai-ing, I requested Nabezo, which is thankfully a chain. I really do love me some shabushabu.

L1050652

L1050654

After dinner, Ginza decided to leave me with a parting gift to share with my friends:
L1050655
What a sicko. Yet another example of Engrish gone awry.

I managed to muster up the energy to make it yet again to Lex…this time with full blonde extensions. What a crazy night. I love that place.

Tomorrow I will venture down to Harajuku (naturally, I can’t not go) and meet up with Mayuko for dinner. Can you tell? Trip is winding down. But Tokyo is always an interesting time…

0 comments: