(Day 9) Leave the Gun. Take the Cannolis.

>> Saturday, October 10, 2009

Welcome to Sicily! I didn’t know what to expect when we arrived…maybe more Italy? That seems reasonable, and it would be entirely true if it weren’t so damn tropical there. When we docked in Messina, I was surprised at how much it reminded me of Mexico. And the heat! Oh my gosh. I looked pretty silly – I packed high boots, long-sleeves, jackets, layers…why didn’t I get the memo? Oh Italy, you so crazy.

There had been a landslide in Messina just a few days prior to our arrival and several lives of locals had been lost. Our day in port was the memorial and funerals for these people and so Messina was, for all intents and purposes, closed for several hours before and after siesta. We hadn’t planned to hang around in town anyways and boarded our bus for a ride down to the city at the foot of Mount Etna, Taormina. But first, let’s leave Messina behind.

9_2

9_3
See? Italians park anywhere. The median on the road is totally fair game.

9_4

9_6
What do you think? Mexico-ish?

Soon we were whizzing past the sea and up into the hills…

9_9

9_13

9_15

9_18
Europe’s greatest natural wonder, Mount Etna. This beauty is two and a half times the height of Mount Vesuvius, the volcano we climbed in Naples.

Taormina was an adorably charming town which was at its most enchanting when we arrived early in the morning and the town wasn’t bogged with tourists yet. Some fun facts for you: The towns that surrounded Taormina was where they filmed the Godfather! Also, Elizabeth Taylor liked to vacation in Taormina with one of her many husbands, Richard Burton. The geris gobble up this information.

9_22

9_25

9_26

9_27

Our tour was to visit the town and explore the greek theatre that was built there back when…well, the greeks were there. I suck at history.

9_28

The view from here was majestic, to say the least.

9_33

9_35

9_38
Party people

9_45

9_47

It was so sweaty hot and clmbing to those altitudes was more than just a little bit of work. Once in the theatre though, we received a nice long lecture from our tour guide about the meaning of life and becoming one with the universe or something. He was so full of it that people randomly started just walking away during his schpiel. I generally found that the Italian male tour guides like to wax poetic about various philosophies and things just generally beyond your average hard-working American’s vacation thought process. Or maybe it was just me.

Here are some panoramics (click to enlarge!):

Greek1

Taormina1

Taormina2Picnik

After the tour, we had some free time to explore the town before bussing it back to Messina. Taormina was now jammed with an obscene number of tourists so weaving through the geri crowds just made me sweatier. Perfect.

9_52

9_53

9_54

9_56
The lady with three legs coming out of her head is the symbol of Taormina. I think the lion head is the symbol for Sicily.

9_58

Taormina was all kinds of picturesque…this is how I imagined Italy.

9_59

9_61

9_62

9_65

9_68

9_70

9_74

9_75

9_77

9_81

9_83

9_84

9_85

9_88

9_90



9_80
This is the terrace at the entrance to the town.

9_79
This is the drop off that terrace! Yikes.

When doing research on Sicily before the trip, cannolis were name-dropped by nearly everyone AND their dog. This naturally piqued my curiosity and so I decided that I’d try my first cannoli in Sicily , their home and native land.

9_92
Three euros later, my tummy is filled with ricotta cheese and pastry. I was expecting something sweet, but it wasn’t…really. I think I’ve been somewhat disappointed with the native foods here, but that’s to be expected.

After our tour group re-congregated, we made our way back to the buses and I got harsh geri-ed. (Getting “geri-ed” means that I got stuck behind some slow-moving geris, when you thought they were moving faster than they were. It’s a negative.) Since we were moving so slowly, I decided to a shot of her oh-so-precious t-shirt. (Click to enlarge to read!)

9_93

I want one.

I think we all slept during the ride home since the hot sun just wiped us out. Once we got back, we dragged our asses into the shower again and then out for some food to get our energy up. I had a très delicious grilled cheese sandwich.

9_94

After lunch, Marty wanted a nap, so Grant, Rachel and I headed out to explore the little bit of Messina that was closeby. Sure enough, the town was pretty much on lockdown, but we made do with the resources at hand. I had seen a little park a few blocks away from the dock when we were driving out of the city, so it was my quest to find it.

9_95

9_96

9_97

9_99
Parking during non-siesta hours will cost you. How do I implement siesta in Canada?

After a bit of weaving, I found the little park!

9_100

It also had a grotto; give it up for playboy-styles. (Though I’m sure the Italians had grottos long before the Playboy Mansion did.)

9_102

9_103
A small army of kiddy rides.

9_106

9_107

9_109
Grant giving me a serious, “What the hell…? Ha…ha?” kind of look.

9_110

9_115

9_117

9_118

Ah, we we’re back home. There’s really no place like it. If I were to describe it, it’s like a little piece of American soil floating around Europe. I only say American because 95 percent of the boat was. I don’t mind though….really.

Messina, from the upper decks of our ship, actually looked a lot nicer from further away than up close. Kind of like people at the bar. Let’s enjoy her for what she’s worth.

9_129

9_130

9_139
I’m wearing long pants in the heat. I be crazy.

9_136
Some boat peoples working their thang. (I love italics.)

Out of port we go!

9_140

9_142
Bye!

It’s always nice to come back to you room and there is a new friend waiting for you.

9_143

We also had some other goods waiting:
9_144

9_145
We are like VIP’s! No big deal. Us and three-quarters of the boat.

Thus concludes another day on this hectic journey…(and I’m actually getting these blogs done! HOORAY!) Only a few more stops and we’ll find ourselves once again in Rome. I hope you are enjoying traveling along with me so far and I hope to hear from a few more of you if you are reading. I’m having fun so far! This tri p really is a Dream (pun totally intended.)

See you tomorrow for another riveting (not) day at sea! I’ll have like, nothing to say, but I’ll try to scrounge up something. Barcelona is very soon…and I’ll have too many words. Enjoy the drought while it lasts!

12_14

0 comments: