(Day 1) Tadaima

>> Saturday, October 31, 2009

Less than two weeks after escaping from Italy unscathed, Japan came calling. In case it hasn’t already been made apparently clear, I ♥ Japan – and no, not in the otaku, anime way, though I can’t say this has always been true. Frankly, I know some truly wonderful people and adore the shopping there. So, off to Tokyo, I again headed. Me speak-a like Yoda.

The first thing anyone needs to do when heading to Japan is to load up on cash, or yen, as it were. Prepare yourselves – we are about to embark on a journey significantly different from our last – this time I go alone and in search of inspiration and a belly full of delicious food.

1_1

Thanks to Aeroplan’s increasing suckiness, I can no longer get a direct flight to Tokyo on a Saturday, so this time I left on Friday afternoon. This works out to my benefit as I now get the Sunday to spend time with Maya before the week begins, but poor Janelle had to take off of work to drive me to the airport. I love you B!

10.31_1

10.31_2

10.31_3

Lunch at the airport always leaves a little something to be desired.

After B left me at the security gates, I cleared and then began some shopping. My Japanese hosts are always incredibly gracious and I want to give them some great stuff in return – so I picked up some ice wine, PGA accessories, chocolates, etc and then wandered straight away onto the plane.

10.31_4

10.31_5

As I plopped myself on the plane, it finally hit me – the moment I wait all year for was here! I’m really off to Japan again. Perhaps this set of blogs will finally convey why I love this country so much…I’ll try to articulate it.

The flight was uneventful – I attempted sleeping, jamming down some dry cardboard for food, and focusing on how flabby/non-flabby my stomach is/was.

10.31_6

10.31_7

10.31_8
Impromptu mini photo shoot in the toilet.

10.31_9

10.31_10

I’m usually quite restless on my flights to Japan because not only am I excited, but it’s also daylight the whole 10-hour flight over. It’s also the next day, which isn’t great because one day of your trip is already done! But I’ll get it back in two weeks.

10.31_13
Is that you Fuji-san!?! Mount Fuji and I play a game of hide-and-go-seek. Fuji-san wins, usually.

10.31_12

Isn’t this world a cool place? In a two-week span I go from a street in Italy to an “Italian Street” in Japan:

10.31_14

The airport was like a sauna, as per usual, which was further enhanced by my adrenaline pumping as I wanted to make a certain NEX train. I tried to buy a ticket for that train, but the agent didn’t believe I could make it down to the platform in three minutes, so I was stuck waiting a half hour until the next one rolled on by. But – I’m happy to wait here and start my people-watching.

10.31_15

10.31_16
The new Narita Express trains! Stylish and comfortable.

10.31_17

With my giant suitcase and hiking backpack, I did pretty good in negotiating the crowds at Tokyo station and finding my way onto the Keihin-Tohoku train to take me up into Saitama, where I would meet Maya. The first day is always a jetlaggy-blur, but time seems to be an endless rushing river already. I’m swept away.

10.31_19

10.31_21

10.31_23

I was thrilled to find Maya easily, and just as lovely as when I left her last. I was equally pleased to once again become acquainted with her Mother and dog, Chobi, on the ride back to her house. Staying at their house is always a really special treat as I get to eat all of Tomoko’s delicious cooking! Ahh….おいしかった.

10.31_24

10.31_26

10.31_27
Urk! Not such a fan of these small friends…very bitter and gritty.

10.31_28

So I’ve made it to Japan. You may be wondering what else I can blog about since I’ve been there twice previously, but frankly, I don’t believe you remember the places I blogged about then, so it won’t seem redundant to you! Muahahahaha. Tomorrow Maya and I will head into the big city to partake in normal activities such as visiting shrines, eating ramen, and getting mildly lost in the inexplicably luminous Ginza. So, please join me again if you have nothing better to do… :)

2 comments:

Jen March 31, 2010 at 8:23 AM  

YESSS.
More Japan.
That's right, I'm staying home from work today to catch up on your blog. My sore throat has nothing to do with it. At all.
Nice airplane bathroom shot.

Erin March 31, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

I love you Djds. I totally believe you!