(Day 14) Sushi-Go-Round

>> Friday, November 13, 2009

Do you remember my tissue rant from the other day? Collecting tissues can become quite a hobby. When Jean lived there, she made a collection of tissues! The tissues are really poor quality and handed out in thin packs, covered with advertising crap on them. Want to meet a sexy lady-friend? Here’s some tissue. Want a new haircut? Here’s some tissue. Want to switch cell phone providers? Here’s some tissue. You get the idea. Free is good, but do you do if you want to cover up those ads and just enjoy the tissue? You need a tissue holder – so I bought one.

11.13_1
This friend made me laugh time and again as I rearranged his face into interesting expressions. How cute.

Anyway, onto the day at hand. Mayuko had class so we had lunch together before parting ways. We went to the local ramen shop and joined the men in slurping delicious noodles. I tried to take advantage of the student discount, but they discriminate against non-locals. Boo!

11.13_2

11.13_4

Kichijoji was my home for the day. Though the weather was brisk, I made my way to Inokashira park to enjoy some greenspace.

11.13_5

11.13_6

11.13_8

11.13_9

11.13_11
…And I thought of Jean here, when we tried to ride those boats and the lady told us they were sleeping. Uh-huh.

11.13_13
I can see some pretty furious hand-holding going on while sitting on these benches if Japanese teens come here for a date. Serious rabu-rabu.

11.13_14

11.13_15

11.13_17
I can totally see this pattern on a slipcover at IKEA.

11.13_20

11.13_21

11.13_22
I guess they were awake today. Or at least awake enough to give these kids a rip around the lake.

I walked around the whole park and then thought heading back into the shopping mecca would be another form of entertainment. I kind of dragged my feet from the park back through the train station to the other side where the shops were. I’m so lazy today.

11.13_23
The fireman says this manhole is for spraying water on passing trains…but why is there a diagonal line across his face?

11.13_24

11.13_25
I love Sun Road shopping arcade!

11.13_29

11.13_27
And, of course, the infamous Loft shop from ‘Last Friends’. Michiru, don’t stop to buy that umbrella! Sosuke is behind you! Ahhhh!

I wandered down some alleys and tried to avoid spending more money. At least for a while. I had a pair of Chloe gloves in mind at OIOI I might go back and buy. Worst!

11.13_28

11.13_30

After giving Muji a good once-over and buying some sushi and bananas from the cheap-o grocery store downstairs, it was, of course, crepe time.

11.13_31

11.13_32

And then I bought the Chloe gloves and a present for Roberta from OIOI and headed home. *Pretends there is nothing wrong with that sentence.*

Once of my favourite experiences in Japan is going for kaitenzushi (conveyor belt sushi.) I know its cheapo sushi, but you can just grab plates as they pass by! Instant food! Mayuko and I boarded the bus for the closest shop that she knew of.

11.13_33

After a bit of a hike, we arrived at Sushiro…I nearly broke into a run I was so excited.

11.13_34

11.13_35

11.13_36

11.13_37

11.13_38
I thought this was a massive chunk of cheese on top of rice. It was not! It was some nasty raw fish component with a small bit of cheese on top and mayo. Ick!

11.13_39
Yes, that is meatball sushi.

11.13_40

Kaitenzushi in Canada is crazy expensive – like $3+ per plate. No thanks. Here I can polish off, say, 10-11 plates easily and not break the bank. I got introduced to these plates on my last visit when Tanya and I went out to Kappa Sushi every damn night.

After the sushi, Mayuko wanted a Starbucks, so we headed there. Strangely enough, like Costco, Starbucks is the exact same in Japan. I also ran into the prof at Jissen from yesterday. Small world! Not small enough to meet Ryo though. Bah.

Tomorrow is my last day of Japanese adventure. What could be more fitting then spending it at the happiest Japanese place on earth? You know…DISNEYLAND! The people of Japan bring Disney up to a whole new level. I can’t wait!

0 comments: