(Day 4) Everyone Needs an Outlet

>> Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Thanks to Bunka no Hi (Culture Day), November 3rd was a national holiday in Japan and so Maya had the day off work. She invited me along with her and her friend Chisato to shop at the outlet mall in Saitama. Never one to pass-up a potential good deal, coupled with the curiosity of a Japanese outlet mall, I eagerly agreed. This is also a treat for me, as I get to just go along with whatever their plan is for the day – hooray for not having to use my brain.

But first, as any day demands, comes breakfast.

11.03_01

11.03_1

Let me tell you a short story about Natto. Natto is, essentially, fermented soybeans and is quite a popular dish in Japan. It is also a source of conversation between those lauding the benefits and taste, and those who abhor the food. Generally, foreigners fall into the latter category – after all, if we liked it, we’d bring it here and westernize it (like sushi.) Apparently Fergie likes it…but that doesn’t convince me. So, after much deliberation, I attempted a go at it myself.

11.03_02

I was very confused at first. It comes in a small pudding-sized cup with little packets of things. Then you empty the packets inside and stir it all up with your chopsticks, until it looks gooey like in the picture above. Then, you grab some, wind it up until all the hangy, glue-y drippings are wound around your chopsticks, and eat. My impressions: it is ridiculously goopey, and had a really strong taste of horseradish mustard. Perhaps that was because one of the packets contained that. If I had known, I wouldn’t have added it. Um…yeah. I don’t think I’d try it again. But you should. Ha ha ha.

It was a long trip out to the mall. We boarded three trains before getting on a bus that would take us there. Good thing I had the girls with me as I wouldn’t have made it.

11.03_2

11.03_3

11.03_4

When I found out there was a Vivienne Westwood outlet store here, I was already dreading the crazy debt I’d wind up in. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I found out the store was a men’s store. Boo!

11.03_5

11.03_6

The outlet mall was quite similar to the setup of those in the US, but the stores were mostly completely different. I didn’t mind though – deals in any currency are still deals. Now, if only we could get past the mini-sized clothes…

11.03_7

I happened to find some f-ing tights:

11.03_8
Ha ha…what?

After perusing some goods and meeting Chisato’s boyfriend who works at the mall (who was in love with my ratty boots and told me I had good style – no big deal), we decided to try and find a spot in the food court for lunch. Nearly impossible, but we scored a lucky break. I was also so excited I had a chance to finally try some Hayashi Rice.

11.03_13

11.03_9

11.03_10

11.03_11

Hayashi rice was the subject of a drama I started watching last time I was in Japan in October of 2008. Sounds lame, I know, but it wasn’t even! There was murder and stuff. Plus my Japanese boyfriend was in it. *wink*

One thing that always mystifies me when I shop here is lingerie stores. Maybe it’s just me, but I feel there is a great cultural divide on this very subject. Of course, there is the size disparity (a C-cup in Japan is a smaller B-cup in North America), but it is quite difficult to try and find a plain set of underwears in normal underwear shops. If you aren’t into bows, frills, and lace, good luck. Maybe you aren’t into plain anyway. :)

11.03_15

11.03_16

11.03_17

11.03_18

Since it had been a while since our last partake in foods, we decided on a crepe. I am going to try to have one everyday on this trip.

11.03_19

11.03_20

11.03_24

11.03_25

Evening came quickly and all I had bought was some bronzer. Yes, the world was also still turning. I was just soaking up the sights and sounds into memory.

11.03_14

11.03_26

11.03_27

11.03_28

11.03_31
Waiting at Beams while trying things on…

Maya made a slew of purchases and then we were done. Next door to the outlet mall, there was a Costco. Maya and Chisato had never been to one before, so it was my turn to bring them on an adventure. Armed with my Costco AMEX, let’s check out a Japanese Costco.

11.03_32

11.03_42

From the entrance, there was no denying that this was a Costco. Though I figured it would look the same, it was actually kind of eerie to be so far from home and yet feel so at home. One I started to examine the items for sale, I realized I wasn’t in Kansas North America anymore.

11.03_33
Oh, just a Chanel watch for $6K. You know, in case you feel like picking it up with your jug of milk when stopping by.

11.03_34
Some Bottega Veneta and Cole Haan purses for sale.

11.03_35

11.03_36
I don’t recall seeing this at my local Costco…if I had, I’d probably have snatched it up.

11.03_38

11.03_39

11.03_40

11.03_41

11.03_43

11.03_44
Biggest.Box.Of.Tim Tams.Ever.

11.03_45
Maya loves to smell marshmallows.

11.03_46

11.03_47

11.03_48

Chisato’s boyfriend was kind enough to offer us a ride to the station so we wouldn’t have to take the bus again. So kind! So we waited in the cold (+6!) for him to get off work. I get to ride in a Japanese car again! What a thrill.

11.03_50

11.03_51
He was very bikkuri at my picture-taking in the car.



The trains were reasonably empty on the way back into town, and we were zonked.

11.03_54

I’m not sure, but we likely jammed down some food and called it a day. I was just happy to be warm again and able to sleep. I’m really fighting this jetlag.

Tomorrow, I think I will head down to Nakameguro and Daikanyama, at the behest of Chisato’s stylish boyfriend. He said that I would really like it because it’s where stylish people like me go to shop. Or something like that. Okay, maybe I made that up. But he did recommend that I go there. So…until tomorrow!

0 comments: