(Day 8) Life in a Suitcase

>> Saturday, November 7, 2009

Another day woke me up, insisting to be filled. But it’s Saturday! On any given Saturday, I’m not out of bed before 2 PM – and this isn’t due to partying. I just have a hobby of sleeping, and I’m good at it. On vacation though, I try to fight it as there is much to see…blah I have no motivation. The fact that I’m in Japan doesn’t really spur me out of bed quicker, but it doesn’t hurt, either. I eventually make my way around and managed to find some chocolate to ease the sleepiness.

11.07_1
Oooh! A free drawstring bag! It took up almost half the box. I really would have preferred more chocolate.

Maya had today off but was heading out to meet some old school friends and we’d meet up for yakiniku later for dinner. Until then though, I was again faced with the task of conjuring up exciting activities for myself. We had breakfast and I pondered.

11.07_2

Today was another day for stepping out of my comfort zone on the food front – hello, umeboshi.

11.07_3

This little friend is, according to Wikipedia:

…a species of… the apricot. Umeboshi, which are a popular kind of tsukemono (pickles) and are extremely sour and salty, are usually served as side dishes… (sometimes without removing their seeds inside) for breakfast and lunch, and are occasionally served boiled or seasoned for dinner.

Yes – a extremely sour, pickle-y apricot soaked in brine. My tastebuds were screaming, “Noooo!” But…I will try anything (within reason) here! Bring it on!

That crazy Imoto girl was also on TV with her horrible painted-on eyebrows.

11.07_4
One time I saw her on TV running a marathon and her painted on eyebrows were running down her face because she was sweating. WHAT. Ew.

11.07_6

I didn’t want the afternoon to get away from me without venturing out to take in some more Japan-ness, so I headed out to wander in the neighbourhood. In my journeys, I came across a local shrine and it was very beautiful and grand indeed…and mostly deserted.

11.07_7

11.07_9

11.07_10
Too cute!

11.07_11

11.07_15

The afternoon was actually getting kind of hot, so I just walked down the various streets in the shopping area, only sidetracked by some delicious-looking plastic foods.

11.07_17

I arrived home empty-handed and tired. And I didn’t even do anything of substance. I joined Maya’s parents up on the roof of their home to take in some botany. Perhaps the photosynthesis will refresh my brain.

11.07_20

11.07_23

11.07_25

11.07_24
The construction of a new expressway, right through the heart of Maya’s backyard. They’ve been working for a while now. I always pass the men in their little uniforms when they are toiling away in the mornings. It’s cute.

Suddenly I had the idea to head over to Ueno and visit Ameyokocho and invited Tomoko along. Since Ameyoko is quite an old shopping area, it is well-known for selling various wares at low prices. Since it was relatively close, I was hunting for a cheap suitcase, and I had to be back in time to meet Maya for dinner, Ameyoko it was.

11.07_26

11.07_27

11.07_29
Just a random shouting man.



11.07_31
Tomoko looking on as I constantly pause for pictures. I’m glad she’s so patient.

11.07_38
These lovely-looking chaps were promoting the opening of a new restaurant and they happily smiled for pictures for me. So random.

11.07_39

11.07_40

I was suddenly stopped in my tracks by a crazy-delicious smell which turned out to be a little stand selling manju.

Manju is a very popular traditional Japanese confection. The outside is a typical flour/rice powder/buckwheat and the inside was a delicious creamy substance, though this usually isn’t the case. I was lucky today.

11.07_43

Tomoko bought a box and we dived right in. She was planning on bringing some back to her husband and Maya, but once we got started, it was difficult to slow down. I was like the cookie monster equivalent, but with manju.

11.07_46

11.07_45
So small and tasty in my mouth.

11.07_44

Did I mention that Ameyoko used to be Tokyo’s black market? No big deal.

11.07_49



11.07_50

11.07_51
”Irasshaimase!”

Here’s a video of me trying to make my way through the crowds:



So I was on the hunt for a suitcase, right? Well, bargaining is totally acceptable in Ameyoko, and thankfully I had a lady who knew how to drive a hard bargain along with me. The selection of suitcases wasn’t ideal, but I did end up finding one that was quite nice indeed.

11.07_54

11.07_55

Before heading out for dinner, Maya’s dad asked me to proofread something for his company – how exciting! I love proofreading, strange as it may sound. The article had already been translated by a professional translator, but even they were not perfect.

11.07_56

Dinner tonight was yakiniku with Maya and her friend at a chain shop in Urawa. Who doesn’t love grilled meat? Maybe vegetarians. And vegans.

11.07_57

Maya’s friend had a coupon, so we all got a free drink. I had a Calpis sour.

11.07_58

11.07_59

11.07_60

11.07_62

11.07_63
Obligatory kimchi.

11.07_64
MmmmmMMmmouthwatering.

For the walk back, we took the long way home and I continued to bask in the enjoyment that comes from being here. Every sight is like ‘ahhhh’. Well, maybe not every sight, but you get my drift.

11.07_65

11.07_66

Tomorrow is another full-day adventure – we are heading north to visit the site of Nikko, an UNESCO World Heritage Site. I’ve never been and I hear it’s lovely, especially this time of year.

0 comments: