(Day 6) Gohan with Mr. Chu

>> Thursday, November 5, 2009

I had no real plan for today so I decided to go soak up the scenes in Shinjuku, which is the major downtown core of Tokyo. This always seems so glamorous in my mind when I’m back home imagining my trip all the exciting stuff that is going to happen. In reality, soaking up scenery means walking until my feet hurt and then sitting until I’m bored. But…stuff goes on in between! That’s what this blog will fill you in on. Let’s do the thing.

Tomoko left me another delicious breakfast on her way out the door, only this time it contained some decidedly Western flair – potatoes, tomatoes, a chicken wing and some cheesy bread. I love this motley crew of foods.

11.05_1

And I absolutely must share one purchase I’ve made before I run out the door – does anyone remember that hairspray from the 1980’s called ‘Aqua Net’? If you don’t, bless your heart, you are a lucky soul. For those that do, I bring you this:

11.05_2

Due to the weather and water here, my hair just flops flat and I was looking for some extra-strength hold when I found this at Loft. One spray…ONE SPRAY and it all came rushing back…the horrendous bike shorts, neon colors, bad-patterned sweatshirts, white pants…I could go on. I was just a baby/kid in the ‘80s, but certain memories you just can’t shake. *shudder*

11.05_3

I began my excursion rifling through the stores at Lumine trying to find something for my little sister since she started rattling off her wish list at me over email. I can’t wait until she comes here and can pick her own crap out. Just kidding. I enjoy spending other peoples’ money.

I headed across the street to check out the many floors of one of Japan’s most prevalent brand/store, Comme Ça. I did end up finding a sweater and a very friendly salesgirl who spoke excellent English. She was from Taiwan or something, and had a very pleasant English name of Sandra…or something. Anyway, she was sweet and I bought the sweater.

11.05_4

Then…I continued my wandering through these much-bedazzled streets.

11.05_5

11.05_6
It was crepe time…but this one looks a little sad and empty. Generally, unless you eat them in Harajuku, it’s going to be lacking.

11.05_7

11.05_8

My favourite Japanese shop has branches in all the major shopping areas of Tokyo and Shinjuku was no different. Ragtag, I love you. You are the perfect shop for me…and, they are “open everydays”.

11.05_9

11.05_10

11.05_12
This was a shop that has a wonderful online presence here and though I’ve bought from them in the past, I finally visited the shop in person. It was crazy hot in there though, and I didn’t feel like sweating through my clothes as that is embarrassing, so turned tail fairly quickly.

What I was really searching for today was the Alexander McQueen store I discovered at Takashimaya Times Square last year. Now completely familiar and in love with his designs, I wanted to go and examine each article until I floated away. So rarely do shops carry McQueen that it was indeed something worthy of searching for.

11.05_15

Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that the Alexander McQueen shop had been replaced with Jimmy Choo. Worst! It’s probably better this way though – I tend to make ridiculously rash purchases when in Japan and I don’t really want to be sucked into that today. I need to keep moving.

11.05_16
Very strange sign directing me into a handbag shop. The guy on the sign is actually what the owner of the shop looks like. Bizarre.

11.05_17

11.05_18
Ah, good old Green Peas.

I like to pretend I have a ridiculously fat wallet, so my next destination was the king of all department stores, Isetan.

11.05_19

The food halls in the lower floors of Isetan are a critical part of the Japanese adventure – a must-see. I get so lost in there when I stroll around, but I like to gawk at all the amazing foods they whip up and then package within packaging with packaging and present to the customer like a Christmas present. I did a bit of a covert video, just to give you a small idea…and yes, that is a $~13 cantaloupe.



Overwhelmed by the allure of the foods on display, I decided that lunch was going to be now. I wandered to an fro, the salespeople trying to suck me with their pre-rehearsed sales talk in complete Japanese. I just smiled. I decided that onigiri (rice balls) were a relatively safe bet (I say “relatively” because they can have any kind of surprise food inside) and a soft sandwich cookie. Once I had bought them, I was faced, once again, with the dilemma of trying to find a place to eat. Drat! I don’t know why I don’t consider these things before buying. Anyway, I do have an idea of a place, but I know that people will be grossed out if I say it, so I won’t. But I did decide to eat there and it wasn’t actually gross at all. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

11.05_21

11.05_22

I was to meet Mayuko at 7:30 and I didn’t really feel like spending any more money, so I went into “killing time” mode and wandered the streets aimlessly.

11.05_24

11.05_26

11.05_27
In hindsight, I should have headed into Shidax for an hour or two of karaoke.

11.05_29

11.05_31
Entrance to the kind-of seedy Kabuki-cho red light district.

11.05_32

11.05_34

11.05_35
Some creepy alien guy that kind of looks like he’s holding his nuts. Very strange.

At around six, I plopped myself across the street from Studio ALTA to watch TV. Studio ALTA is where they film a slew of shows and is also a crazy-popular meeting place. Across the street, where I was, it is also a popular area for people smoke, lie around on the cement stairs, and for trashy guys to hit on trashy girls. Yay! I sit here for over an hour and just people watch.

11.05_36

11.05_45



I also managed a decent panoramic of the scene (click to enlarge!):

Shinjuku

With just under an hour left, I proceeded to check out every damn floor of the OIOI department store. This proved interesting for me, in the sense that I was completely taken with their bathrooms and sitting areas for the non-shoppers. I’m clearly not from here.

11.05_46

11.05_47

11.05_48

11.05_50

11.05_49
Big: I should go on a diet.
Small: Yes you should, because you cannot put on a hat.

At the appointed time, I met up with Mayuko. She is such a lovely person who is much too worried about her English being sub-par. She suggested we go to an udon restaurant called, “Tsurutontan” which apparently had a massive following of late and you get free refills on food! Of course due to this, the restaurant had a long line and we had to wait.

11.05_52

11.05_51

11.05_53

11.05_55

She told me the bowls were big, but I really had no idea just how big. I ordered the amazing-sounding katsu (pork cutlet) curry udon, and I was not disappointed. I also go a sweet bib to wear.

11.05_58

11.05_59

11.05_60

11.05_61

11.05_62

After consuming that massive pot of the most amazing udon ever, we felt impossibly full and stumbled out onto the streets, our bellies protruding from underneath our clothes. Yikes. The best way to work off food of this calibre is the only physical activity possible – karaoke with all-you-can-drink pop!

11.05_63
Mayuko took the safe route with healthy oolong tea and I splurged with Calpis, since I am on vacation.

11.05_64

11.05_65

11.05_66

Ahhh…too much fun. I dragged myself back home and heaved myself into my all-to-welcoming futon. It’s a good sleep tonight.

Tomorrow I have no plan. Maybe Tomoko and Chobi will provide some kind of activity to keep me occupied. Either way, I’ll be bringing more of Japan over to you.

1 comments:

Jen March 31, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

So how is cow-piss for the singing voice, anyway?