(Day 2) Sacred Places

>> Sunday, November 1, 2009

Maybe I love Japan because when I’m here, the people are so polite, accommodating, and most of all, good at flattery! Perhaps it is the food – there is almost nothing here that makes me gain weight. Maybe is the complete mystery at what lies ahead in any particular day – what language barrier will I meet today? What will come of it? Or maybe it’s, “What will I buy today?” That could be it.

Waking up at Maya’s house has a very home-like feel for me – I stayed there a year ago and they give me so much space to stay in. It’s quiet and it just seems very “Japanese” to me.

11.01_1
Outside the bedroom window.

11.01_2
Three futons high! I sleep like a princess.

We had an exciting planned today, so we needed to get our strength up with the fluffiest pancakes one can imagine, all thanks to the mix from The New Otani Hotel.

11.01_3

11.01_4
This is what they give for maple syrup. Canadians need a separate jug. Enough said.

I was also fortunate enough to be given a bowl of leftover curry from last night. Curry for breakfast! I’m surely in heaven.

11.01_5

Our first destination was the immensely popular Asakusa-jinja,or the Asakusa Shrine. I had been here previously, but that was at the most ungodly hour with nary a soul in sight. Today, the exact opposite was true. But first, we stopped for a look at the Asahi Flame.

11.01_6
Though the golden flame is supposed to represent the “burning heart of Asahi beer”, it is more commonly referred to as kin no unchi, or the golden turd.

11.01_10
Down Nakamise Dori, the shopping street leading to the shrine.

11.01_11

11.01_12

11.01_13

11.01_15

Like all good flea markets the world over, they sell all kinds of little chotchkies that are oh-so-hard to resist.

11.01_16

11.01_17
You know, just in case you ever wanted to dress up as Michelle Obama.

11.01_18
Hottie man-boy keychains.

11.01_19

11.01_20

They were also selling all kinds of treats which confused yet tantalized me; take, for example, this strawberry confection:

11.01_22

Looks pretty and shiny, right? Well, it turns out that it is covered in like a corn syrup – 100 percent sticky goo in my mouth. Yikes! Messy messy.

Here’s my youtuber of the action as it happens:



11.01_25

11.01_26

11.01_28
I don’t care what kind of Nishikido it is – as long as it’s the Ryo kind. I kind of want that bag. I’d cherish it.
profile-ryo

November is also the month of shichi-go-san, where seven-year-old girls and three- and five-year-old boys dress up for their first visits to shrines. There were many cuties this day, but perhaps this one was the cutest :

11.01_29

As you can tell, the shrine was a flurry of activity, as was the actual building that housed the deity.

11.01_30

11.01_31

11.01_32
Be sure to waft incense for good luck!

11.01_34

11.01_35
What a creeper behind us. What is his issue?

11.01_37

11.01_39
Lots of whities here too – check out the himmelschtende whitie on the left.

I wanted to get some nice pictures of the Sumida River, so we headed back towards the golden turd and basked in the growing heat from the sun.

11.01_41
Beside the turd is supposed to be a beer mug with froth at the top – can you see it?

11.01_42

11.01_43

11.01_50

11.01_51
Not very picturesque, is it…

A panoramic of the scene (click to enlarge):

SumidaGawa

Alright, time to partake in some delicious foods. One of my most-desired places to eat at while in Japan is Ichiran – a ramen shop. I’ve eaten here before, and my jowls just smack at the thought of one of their savoury bowls steaming in front me. I love you, Ichiran. But before my ramen, I must complete the worksheet.

11.01_52

11.01_53

11.01_54
The Perfect Solitary Experience.



11.01_56

After sweating to the noodles, we took off for Nihonbashi, the skyscraper district where Maya works. I do like this area, but I like business-y kinds of places.

11.01_58

Her building was immediately near the old Nihonbashi Bridge, which strangely has a freeway built on top of it.

11.01_59

11.01_62

11.01_66

11.01_67

As this day had been pretty sparse for shopping, we began that segment by hitting up the Mitsukoshi department store located here. Fancy, expensive, and spacious, it was the perfect introduction for our walk to Ginza.

11.01_64

11.01_65
*Freeway not shown*

11.01_68
I’m not sure, but isn’t there some copyright infringement going on here?

11.01_70

11.01_71

We stopped in at Takashimaya for a bathroom break and I got such a kick of it.

11.01_72

Next to the ladies washroom, they’ve generously decided to equip us with all the essentials, right at hand. There were several stations that included makeup mirrors and lighting, a hairdryer, tissue, and a small sink to touch-up any imperfections one might perceive to have. No wonder the majority of these ladies are flawless.

11.01_73

11.01_74
Not this one though.

Back on the road again, Ginza was ever-nearer.

11.01_76

11.01_77

11.01_81

11.01_82

I was on the hunt for a branch of one my favourite shops, Ragtag, and we ended up getting mildly lost. It can happen strangely quickly in Japan. One moment, you are in the midst of flashing lights and people, and the next you are on some deserted block with strange blue-lit empty shops on all sides. We stopped one man for directions and he pointed in the opposite direction of which we were heading, though he admitted he didn’t know which way to go. Given my past experience in Ginza, we continue on according to my gut, which magically landed us at the shop! Yeah, that’s kind of a long story short, but whatever. I ended up buying a lovely and cheap Issey Miyake blazer. So worth it.

All that walking and getting lost made me hungry. Let’s go home for dinner. Goodbye Ginza!

11.01_83

Another great thing about staying with Japanese people is that every meal is an adventure. I seriously have no idea what is coming next – pickled sour plums? Fermented soybeans? Cow tongue? A whole little fish with scales and all?

11.01_85

11.01_86

11.01_87

Yummo! I never leave the table hungry here. Tomoko makes sure of that. Chobi also likes to snack on some Canadian treats while I eat – not just the peanut butter cookies I brought him, but apparently my leg is tasty also.

11.01_88

I always like to collect some small necessities when I travel – check out this cute little toenail clipper I acquired:

11.01_89
”Hellow to you!”

Evenings are pretty chill as we are stuffed and tired from walking all day. I don’t mind – in fact, I welcome it. This type of experience isn’t outlined any guidebook.

Tomorrow is a weekday, which means I’m off to explore the city on my own. Small town girl goes big city. Classic tale. Tokyo is mine! And tomorrow I’ll become another Harajuku girl. AGAIN.

1 comments:

Jen March 31, 2010 at 12:18 PM  

Don't you love how the shrines are always behind chicken wire? I guess that's so the foreign himmelstandes don't touch them.