(Day 1) SWEAT

>> Sunday, September 5, 2010

Japan, again.

Yes, you read that right. But this time, I’ve taken along my best friends – my two sisters, Sis and B. It’s going to be kracie.

The long-awaited day finally arrived on September 4. We’d been chatting and planning for this day for over two years – B had been planning to take the plunge and study in Japan for possibly even longer than that. What I’m getting at here is that it was a long-ass time, okay? For me, this is my fourth trip to Japan in as many years and I’m desperate to go and throw my money into the giant pit of Tokyo! And away we go…

We picked up B at her house, haphazardly throwing stuff into bags and running around like a chicken without a head. After much prompting, we were loaded and off once again. The airport was much the same as always and I, of course, took my token shot of the big screen in the international terminal food court. The day has arrived y’all.

L1010742

After much waiting for Sis (who was somehow trapped within the confines of a secured area), we headed through security and congregated for some blowing off of steam and subway sandwiches. Then, onward to our gate, where our plane and hordes of Japanese people waited to jet off into the wild blue yonder.

L1010743

L1010744

L1010745

The flight attendants had to nearly peel Sis off the ceiling there was such excitement flowing. It was dampened, however, when somehow Air Canada lost a baggage cart that was supposed to be on the plane…so we had to wait an extra half an hour before taking off. But when we did…it was a long haul.

L1010748

L1010751

L1010752

L1010755
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA best photo of the day. I ♥ it!

So, that was before the long stretch of 10 hours set in. When we neared the end of the ever-sunny stretch, they appeared a bit more…well, bedraggled.

L1010756

L1010758

L1010759
Breakfast? Lunch? What time is it?

L1010760

L1010761

L1010762
Oh thank you!!

I was struggling to make it through the airport in a timely fashion with the two laggards behind me. They were pooped, I get it, but what about me? I didn’t sleep at all either! It must be the Japan juice in the air. Drink it up ladies…drink it up. Uh…anyway, moving along…we did just that. We managed through the heated halls (WHY JAPAN WHY!!?!), the lines at immigration, the seemingly endless wait at the baggage carousel, the security check, and the final wait to board our chariot, the Narita Express. Safely on board, we settled in for the long ride into the city.

L1010763

L1010765

L1010770

Inside our little train capsule, we were safely shielded from the heat that was supposedly lurking beyond the windows. We arrived at Tokyo station and switched twice more before arriving at our stop, Akasaka. Upon walking out the train, it was immediate death by asphyxiation. HUMIDITY, never-ending, not a wisp of cool air to be had. Bearing in mind that we were carting no less than three bags a piece, (not to mentioned poor Janelle fell over backwards on a train due to her heavy backpack – you should have seen the looks of horror on the people in the trains’ faces – do they help her? Wait…she’s white, so maybe not…) and the walk from the bowels of the subway to street level were preceded by many stairs (Japan is not exactly disabled-friendly), death was absolutely certain. Before the last, final gruelling set of stairs up, we took a break in the courtyard nearby. Not sure why, really, because the air there was much the same as anywhere else. I headed into the nearby Family Mart to grab a water bottle – BIG MISTAKE. I say mistake because I couldn’t sleep there, you see. They don’t have beds and I had to come back outside. Ughhhhhh

L1010772

L1010773
What’s that? This photo is blurry? Well maybe it’s because of the sweat pouring down the lens. Or maybe the extreme heat changes from Canada to Japan. WHO KNOWS.

We braced ourselves for the walk up the stairs and the long, never-ending incline that followed that. Apparently also my suitcase takes more effort to steer than I thought. Great, more energy expended means more sweat pouring down my face. We finally arrived, after a two-hour walk (or six minutes, whatever) at the hotel. I thought we could stop outside to cool off before heading inside (because we were mad sweaty, duh), but I guess cooling off only works in countries that aren’t 45 degrees in the evening. We headed inside and I took care of the necessary paperwork. I swear, in my whole existence, I have never sweated so profusely. Though it was cooler inside, it wouldn’t stop. The one Kleenex I had used to dab myself was wadded up into a sopping little ball. The shirt was no good either as it was soaked from neckline to hem. My arm, when signing papers left a little puddle on the counter. Get the idea? Ddddeeeaaaadddd. Thankfully, the clerk didn’t mind as he himself was sweating right alongside me. My eyelashes had never been so useless. Checked in, we crammed into the deathbox (aka the smallest elevator known to humankind) and emerged on our floor – which was not enclosed so the humidity penetrated our…everything? again. We rushed for our room, and threw ourselves inside but…what? The air con WASN’T ON. a;lkfjas;ldjfalskjfdl;aksjflaksjdfl;asj After much punching random buttons on the all-Japanese remote controls, they came to life and spit out a little air…not cool, but not exactly hot either. Can I dive into a cold bathtub now?

We did head back out that evening (silly, I realize) to the drugstore and grocery store to stock up on goods. More sweating followed. However, by this time Sis looked like she was about internally combust from the heat and sleep deprivation so she crashed and we soon followed (after showering in the coldest temps scroungable, natch.) Tomorrow have to be up by 4:45 AM (WHAT) so we should try to squeeze in a few hours…

So there was day one. I really don’t know how we are going to make it through. I’m talking 45 degree humidity people!!! Like, right? Ahhhhh! Tomorrow we’ll try to head to Tsukiji to the Fish Market and see where else the day will take us...if I can manage enough energy sleeping through this heat…

1 comments:

B November 9, 2010 at 1:08 AM  

HAHAHAHA, I laughed, a lot. And yes I just read this now, but at least I read it, right??