(Day 11) The Pilgrimage

>> Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Today was little baby’s first day of school! We packed her all up all kindergarten-style and, like any good set of guardians, chaperoned her to school. This involved navigating the tricky tunnels of Tokyo’s train system with a big suitcase during rush hour. We left the hotel late (naturally, of course, it seems to be a common theme these days) and so we were literally running for trains. Janelle struggles, so I do recall at some points I just grabbed her bag and hustled up and down stairs and then she ran the bag over some unsuspecting person’s foot. Ah, Tokyo might hate us today. After dropping little baby off in Hino, Sis and I headed yet further west into the Tokyo countryside.

L1020542

L1020543
Trust me, this is dang-near the barrens.

Arriving at the base of the mountain, we were certainly no longer in downtown Tokyo. The pace is slower, the atmosphere quieter, and the scenery decidedly greener. There were also a lot of old people with backpacks and walking sticks – time for a good, old-fashioned pilgrimage.

L1020544

L1020545

L1020546

L1020548

Our pilgrimage was particularly less rustic than those of the geris on their expedition – we took the chairlift up the mountain. What?

L1020555

Before heading up, we stopped at the station’s convenience store run by a little old geri and picked up some snacks. All good expeditions have snacks. Once we arrived on the mountain, we had a little sit and stared into the trees and drank some Lindsay Lohan water.

L1020556
The infamous Lindsay Lohan water.

Yes, I realize it actually says “I Lohas”, but you can’t blame me for confusing the two, can you? I proceeded to make comments such as I needed “more Lindsay” or “where’s my Lindsay?” She kept us so well-hydrated.

L1020557

L1020558

So, on top of this (sacred?) mountain, they had this great machine which brewed all kinds of hot beverages fresh for you. It also had the most gnarly giant moth sitting on top of it. Its wingspan was at least as wide as my face. Eeeek!

L1020560
I didn’t want to remember the moth, so I didn’t take a picture. But, here I am, remembering.

We stopped at the set of benches and sat some more, sipping on our respective beverages (hers, hot, mine, Lindsay.) The view of the city was aiiiet from here too.

L1020567

It would appear that this mountain is what separates Tokyo from the country. On the other side, it looked like this:

L1020566

We continued our journey upwards on the mountain, toward the shrine and monastery.

L1020572

L1020575

L1020578

I counted each bank of stairs as I climbed – 30 steps per set. Why?

L1020580
Maybe this rock is telling me why – I can’t read, so I don’t know.

L1020581
What’s this? Here’s my (un)educated guess – these are the names of all the Buddhist priests who have lived on this mountain since…the beginning of time? Yeah, I said it was (un)educated.

L1020582

L1020583

L1020584

L1020585
Ah yes, my infamous little dudes on a hill. Okay, maybe not infamous, but that’s just semantics.

L1020586

L1020587

So were you just asking yourself, “Why are those statues wearing bibs?” If so, you likely aren’t alone. In fact, Sis and I contemplated long and hard why every little statue was wearing a homemade bib. This blogger gives us the heads-up:

When you first see a statue at a little shrine or temple dressed in modern clothes, it looks like someone has been playing a sacrilegious joke. The truth is that they are adorning the statue in red in accord with the meaning of the color in Shinto and Buddhist culture. In Japan, red is seen as driving off demons or disease. Red bibs, hats, etc. on statues of deities has spiritual significance, despite the fact that it looks rather whimsical and frivolous.

Once we had trotted up and down the endless stairs at the shrine and saw some monks go by chanting, we headed back to the sitting area and went to a little soba shop for lunch. A soba shop on a mountain. I guess business is good? The geris on their expedition gotta eat somewhere.

L1020588
That white creamy stuff on the top was not delicious. It was radish mush.

L1020589

Though I thought we’d only end up spending a short time, it turns out we were on the mountain for a few hours. Time flies when you are staring at bibbed statues!

L1020590

We were like celebrities going down the mountain. Everyone going up was waving at us. Or maybe there was something on our face? We’re such sisterlebrities.

L1020592

L1020594

We were to meet up with little baby sister in Tachikawa later in the afternoon so we headed there and then onwards to home for a brief respite before dinner…

L1020595
An empty train! That doesn’t happen often. Or ever.

L1020596

L1020598
Wtf is this, you ask? This is IKKO. She is a transsexual who uses the brand of shaver I bought. I’m glad he she approves.

Dinner was in Ginza tonight, with a very old friend of Sis’s who she hasn’t seen in over 10 years, Maiko. Maiko was an exchange student in our tiny little prairie town for three years and now works in Tokyo. She’s also very sweet and brought along a friend to entertain us with, uh, a variety of stories.

Dinner was at Gonpachi, that of the famous chain from Kill Bill yadda yadda yadda. It’s different than the Nishi-Azabu cool one and ridiculously pricey. But it was fun!

L1020599

L1020603

L1020605

L1020606

After regaling stories and chatting about a variety of things, we moved the party a little closer to home at Akasaka Sacas. We sat for our first time at what would come to be known as “our table” at Grigio (okay, we sat their twice during the whole vacation, but I want it to appear home-like?) I had the most ridiculous drink, recommended as the best by Seraj – I’m now of the mind he has no idea what tastes good. But that likely doesn’t matter since he probably won’t hold good on his promise to take me to Lex at Christmas. But you don’t know anything about that, so whatever.

L1020607

L1020608
So.much.vodka.

L1020609

L1020610

We managed to stumble home quite easily from this distance. Yayyy!

Tomorrow is another chillax day – we are heading up north to visit my favourite stop in all of Saitama and then…we bring the party home with a raging night of clubbing. Yes, me. Clubbing. I’m going to try to pass for 22 or 23…

2 comments:

Unknown November 16, 2010 at 8:20 PM  

that was a fun day. i liked it when we were running down the mountain! you forgot the tale of the hello kitty popcorn machine. "hello kitty..." we sang that for days!

Erin November 16, 2010 at 8:26 PM  

I didn't forget at all! It's just...there isn't a story, so how can one possibly begin to regale? As long as we know sistre, that's all that matters.
"hello kitty..."