(Day 2) Black and White City

>> Sunday, May 9, 2010

I find it unusually cruel for a work-related conference to start on a Sunday. At 9 AM. Who are these people? So I spent all morning and afternoon in sessions related to research accounting. We accountant types are a hardcore bunch. During lunch, however, I managed to escape and wander the blocks around my hotel, the ghetto of the Calgary downtown.

L1000451

L1000453
Fancy shoe savers! My heels have suffered enough missteps.

L1000455

The sort of “fashionable” shopping street in Calgary is arguably Stephen Street. There’s a lot of plucky bum-types who congregate here, as well as the chauchy professional types who spill out of the high-rises as lunchtime comes round.

L1000458

L1000459
Everything looks classier in black and white. Damn color, always making things ugly.

L1000460

L1000461

After my afternoon session, I was out of there like a flea in a shopping bag. Sis picked me up and we searched for some sushi, eventually settling on the un-tested ‘Midori Sushi’ on that street near the Cat Head shop. You know what I’m talking about. This was dinner number one.

L1000462
Sis, tackling the mother-of-all massive sushies. Go Sistre, go!

After that, we went on a little car ride, taking in the many exquisite sights of Calgary.

L1000465

L1000467
Inside the Dynaride.

L1000468
Why couldn’t they have had my conference in this establishment? What’s that? It’s derelict and shut down? Set to be demolished? Semantics.

L1000478

I then retreated to my hotel for a few minutes and awaited the arrival of Brett, fresh from volleyball(?) or something else sporty. After a quick stop at his luxury condo (geeze), we headed over to Hudson’s for dinner number two.

L1000480
Some fancy rich-person artwork in front of his building. Geeze.

L1000481

L1000488

After another couple of hours of trading barbs, it was back to the hotel to prep for day number two of conferencing. I don’t think there will be much blog fodder for tomorrow as I head into one of the seven circles of hell (thank you for the reference Cephas) in that I will be witness geris in their natural habitat – the dance floor.

3 comments:

Unknown June 14, 2010 at 7:47 PM  

LOVE IT!!!! sistre! you are too much! i love your blogs and this one really made me laugh.... you are the best.

LOVE YOU!

Erin June 14, 2010 at 7:55 PM  

Sistre, of course! If you loved it then that's all that matters.
SISTERLEBRITIES!

Unknown June 14, 2010 at 8:07 PM  

I am proud to have been referanced. I feel special!!