(Day 6) Blazing Saddles

>> Thursday, May 13, 2010

“What should we do?” “I don’t know.” “C’mon, what should we do?” “I don’t know. What do you want to do?” “I don’t know, it doesn’t matter to me.” “Me neither. Whatever you think.” This conversation went on for a while. Hours…even days before we finally pulled our crap together and made a decision. For pete’s sake, we were in Ban-fa-fa after all, so we should do something Banff-ish. I made the executive decision that we’d head up to the hot springs and soak our bones, so we did.

L1000601

L1000602

As you can see, the view outside the pool was just awe-inspiring. The view inside the pool, however, was another story.

L1000605

L1000610
Like I said, black and white photos make everything seem classier.

L1000612

The pool was fine. As it was too early in the season yet, the pool was partially filled with municipal water. And so really, we were all just hanging out in a giant warm cesspool of diluted spring water (and likely some bodily fluids and skin cells, etc, but that’s par for the course in any public pool.)

Sis and I hung out here for a while and then headed back to the hotel to switch attire for our next excursion. We were on a roll, so why stop now? AND THE WILD WEST AWAITS!

L1000615

L1000616

I always imagine that when I finally get around to going horseback riding, I’m going to have a “natural seat” (it’s what my camp counsellor told me) and my horse and I are going to gallop through a meadow, like in those Julia Roberts movies or whatever. So Sistre and I decided to shell out the big bucks for such a session on this day, in Banff. Blazing saddles indeed!

L1000618

L1000621

L1000619

L1000620
”Beeeee nice to us horses, neeiiiiighhh!”

L1000622

Well I just siddled up to my horse and was like, ‘What up, pardner’ and he was like, “neiiiiiiiigh” and waved his silky mane in the wind. This was going to be a good ride.

L1000624
Sis, getting all strapped in for the ride of her life.

L1000625
Well, this is no meadow filled with tall grass and wildflowers, but I suppose it will do.

Well, as you can guess, the wild gallop through a meadow was more like a slow walk in a straight line. Unfortunately, we were also saddled (literally) with an old fart from Germany who didn’t understand a lick of English and I was stuck behind his pokey horse who kept farting. Worst! I was kind of hoping that my horse would bite the other one’s butt, but I was out of luck. And we plodded along. Slowly.

L1000626

L1000627

Sis looks happy, but her horse looks sad. He had to listen to Sis chastise him for two whole hours, an endless stream of questions and directions, neither which he appeared to understand. Sis, you know it’s true! But my horse had an attitude problem, so I think we were about even.

L1000629

L1000630

L1000640

L1000639

L1000647

L1000648

L1000654
Here! I could break free from the pack, but I think my horse would be deathly confused. I could probably tempt him with some grass though, if I needed to. I’m too responsible.

L1000656

L1000657

L1000667

L1000678

L1000680
Ew, my horse looks really kind of fat from this angle. And I look stubby.

So, as you can conclude, the horse ride, in the end, was a bit of a let down. Sis’s horse did a little cantering thing every once in a while, but my just walked. I yanked his head a bit, if that counts. I bet it doesn’t. Poo.

We were so nasty dirty from the horses (seriously, how?), so we settled in for sushi and cleaned ourselves off until the food arrived.

L1000681

L1000682
Okay, this isn’t sushi, but I’m such a sucker for tonkatsu curry that I can’t pass it up if its on the menu.

L1000683

We wandered the shops for a while, tried on a bags at LV, and then we hit up Safeway for some more snack grub. Tomorrow we are outta here and back to Calgary, but there will be more sisterly shenanigans to get into there…maybe some disgusting cake! I’m going to bet $10 on that.

1 comments:

Jen June 18, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

Be nishhhhe to ush hoorsshhhhesh, neeeeigh!
Sweet.
You know, the black and white pictures are good in the city. They're good all the time, really. There's something about black and white pics of the rocky mountains and fields makes me think post-nuclear-holocaust-rocky-mountaints-and-fields.
I'm just sayin.